Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI. im from Australia, so any brands or prices i mention, are Australian.
After reading many posts and experiancing first hand the 1. horrible factory speakers and 2. the incredible road noise from the Rav (especially since coming from a 2008 Camry Sportivo which was amazing) ... i decided to do somthing about it.
I also took (take this with a grain of salt, iPhone Db readings at multi speeds to proove to myself that it actually had by data made a difference).
First things first, I knew there were different ways to upgrade the speakers, cutting out factory speakers etc. but.... i never saw anyone mention that Focal actually make a speaker set that is literrally plug and play.
They even give you new rivits in the pack to rivit their new speakers into the factory locations.
So, i purchased...
Focal IS 165TOY (fronts including tweeters)
Focal IC165TOY (rears)
They were a little pricey ($329 AUD and $285 AUD) But, i figured.... for the ease of install, and cleanliness, .... screw it....
and they were.... perfect fit. the only thing was the tweeters came with a bracket for a dash mounted tweeter, so i just cut out the black glue from the factory tweeter housing and these babies slipped right in.... i then used super glue to secure them. all wiring was plug and play. no soldering iron or cutting required.....
Before i got to doing the speakers, i removed the door trim (see other posts) and then cleaned and applied "CarBuilders" Stage 1 sound deadening material in factory Black.
They are a melbourne (where im from) company, and who doesnt love supporting locals.... not to mention they do a tonne of youtube instructional videos and are very keen to reply via email and i cant rate them high enough.
I applied this stage 1 to the outer skin, and then covered up all access holes (simulating a sort of "box" for the speaker.) but before i put the speaker in.... I applied a large square of their accoustic liner (stage 2) directly behind the speaker.... hoping to dilute some of that back sound wave action.
I then installed the speakers, like i said, very easy, drill out the old, plug in the new, pop-rivit the new ones in and they plug in. plug is on the correct side etc.
i then added some of the stage 2 (foam line matieral) under any area wires may rattle against the inner skin. (tweeter area in particular).
i repeated this for all 4 doors.
The rear door , i applied the same technique , and covered up the large hole from the "inner" to outer ... (that may bite me in the future - as i have a number place rear camera) and around the top, applied some of the stage 2 to try and add some foam\density to the trim.
(the rear door roof spoiler had rattles when tapping, but there is nothing that can be done about that, its a fibreglass unit and totally sealed.)
One BIG win was the rear tyre cover.... that thing made a horrible rattle twang when shutting the rear door, so off it came, wax and grease remover, and i applied a large square of stage 1 to that, and then a thin ring out of scraps around the tyre upper\side\lower side.... slamming my rear door no longer makes that noise....
after all that, i started on the floor...
this is a big job, i removed all the rear trim, and all seats....
(i actuially had to go to work one day with only the driver seat in - felt strange).
but its not too bad, and because i didnt want to break any plastic clips holding the wiring loom to the floor, i made the job so much harder for myself....
anyway, after patching around many many wires, it was covered wioth stage 1.
I then went through and applied stage 2,. and cut away little holes for clips and trim etc.
oh, i also applied stage 1 to my bonnet (Hood) under the factory felt type thing, so it still looks facotry, but now if you drop the bonnet, it is nice and solid sounding...
i took this oportunity with the carpet out to give it a steam clean, and then re-installed.... put all the trim back...
oh, warning.... the AirBag module is under (in AUS) the passenger (Left) seat, and it appears to be an inertia type switch, so i was very careful removing that, and reinstalling.... (i know i know, disconnect the negative battery.... but i was being lazy) .
i was tempted to order more and remove the roof, because honeslty that would have been easy compared to what i had been through, but not at this stage....
so ... onto the results./..
driving over bumps and side streets at slow speeds, it feels more "solid" .,... you get a nice thud instead of it feeling like you are crashing over every bump...
highway speeds, its significantly lower, as you will see in my results which were taken on the same peice of highway, same lane, same time of day and same speed....
overall, i think i spent ~30 hours on it.... and to me, its been worthwhile, and its a better car for it, i prob added 30-35Kg , but who cares when you feel you are in a nicer ride....
i still want to stage 2 the door cards, because thats an area i didnt do, and i think i could get a bit there, and maybe the underbonner to hide engine noise more...
Below are the before\after results. Again this is based off an iPhone 7 Plus "Db Meter" app, and it doesnt show the slow speed "satisfaction" re. small bumps and door shutting etc.
40km 62Db-52Db = 10Db drop (17.5%)
60km 64Db-55Db = 9 Db drop (15%)
80km 71Db-62Db = 9Db drop (12.6%)
100km 73Db-66Db = 7Db drop (9.5%)

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the pictures :D we are also planning to install some sound dampening on our Rav4 on the weekend if the weather cooperate lol
already read some post on the forum and they really help.

I will try to get some db meter reading on my phone to get the before and after too.

All I know is our Rav4 is loud and noisy :D I can't remember if it was always like it as I don't use it as my primary vehicle. Our kid is the primary user of that one now lol but every time we use it, all I can hear is the noise from the back while driving, which i don't experience on our truck

Hopefully putting in some sound dampening on the rear part (and maybe the roof) reduce some of the noise to acceptable level.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, its made it nicer, and its kind of progressive, so doors will improve it a little bit, floor a bit more, rear arches a bit more etc.
i forgot to mention, the rear section between the rear tyre arch and the outer skin, i also did a lot in there because its a flat panel, and they also have vents at the rear that i think go down to under the car, prob so there isnt a totally sealed cabin (that would effect air pressures and the fresh air venting in wouldnt work so well), there seemed to be a lot of noise from thnere, but i didnt want to cover them, so i used lots of the foam stage 2 accoustic liner on the trim peices and those little access cover\door things, while still allowing their vents to work.
Toyota also put from factory a rubber blanket around the transmission tunnel area, so i figured if they did that, its a source of noise, so paid closer attention to that area too...
my job wasnt perfect, but its the first time ive attempted this, and if i had the time again, i would have worked on removing the wiring clips and then that would have allowed me to do big sheets at a time,

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just got our Rav4 disassembled today LOL removed the back seats, floor panels and side panels. got the head liner down too up to the end of the sunroof. That will give us space to stick some sound dampening mat on the roof :p

Haven't removed the driver and passenger seats as it seems to have padding under the main carpet already. and when we were driving most of the noise are mostly coming from the rear.

We will start to put in the sound dampening tomorrow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
from what i had researched the chopped mat sound proofing was "old school" compared to the newer closed cell foam stuff....
up to you, but i bought a tonne of the stuff so just ripped the toyota stuff off and added my own.

·
Registered
161 Posts
@Geniee - You put a ton of work into this and you did a great job. I had a 2006 before my current 2013 and did pretty much the same coverage as you did over the course of several weeks, and understand how labor intensive it is.

After the first layer of materials - one thing that helped me identify additional potential road noise, vibration and other noise intrusion areas was to have someone drive me around while I had out the back seats, cargo mat and any interior trim. We found an out of the way straight stretch of road and I crawled around listening intently at different areas and marked them with a Sharpie.

One of the biggest areas on my 2006 was of course the wheel arches and the areas just behind each where there is a double wall of exterior body and the interior structural elements. As you found it's hard to get your arms in there, but it was well worth adding layers in that hole. I also peeled away the hood blanket insulation and put a layer of matting there too. That helped with some noise and also hood fluttering at higher speeds or cross winds.

Again - great work and thanks for sharing your build process and results.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, i have been reading the forums for a long time, and after putting all that work, thought it would be only honest to give back to the Rav community...
i would love to do more, and in the future i will remove my door trims and fully "stage 2" them, (i had only done 1 because i ran out at the time) but its easy to get them off.
Another tip, buy a bag of 100 or so of the trim clips from ebay, they will always come in handy, i broke maybe 3-5 during this, and it was simple enough to just go in the bag and grab a new one...
i would still love to do the roof, because being a totally flat panel, its 1. probably going to give me some benefits, and 2. going to be easy with no wires etc. up there.
Another thing i thought about, but am not totally sold on, was getting new suspension thats a bit softer.... perhaps a lift with softer springs\shocks.... its a bit old man-ish... but hey, im 38 now... been through my loud exhaust and turbo days :D now im all about the comfort....
A friend at work has a V6 Kluger, and like the 08 Camry i had, i think they put a bit more effort into the premium aspect than the little Ravs.... but given ive just helped my bro move house and how easy it was to put the seats down and carry basically everything in the Rav... they really are a great utility practicle car, and so many little hiding spaces for things....
on another note tho, my 2AZ-FE does burn about 1.5Lt of oil each year between changes.... the next change im going to do a piston soak with various chemicals to try and dissolve any potential crap clogging up my piston oil drain holes which are notorious (according to the net and Toyotas TSB) for blocking, and possibly the oil scraper ring being too small and being gunked up...
I will def. make a detailed post on that process too including compression tests before\after and pictures from my usb (ebay) snake camera of the piston tops....

·
Registered
136 Posts
just finished. Back is aching now LOL

Drove the Rav4 around and in the high way. It didn't turned it to a luxury car :D but it's less noise and acceptable. I can hear the engine and the radio :p

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had my tyres pumped up at 36psi for the above tests, and just today i have lowered them back to 32psi and will re-run the tests (Dbs) because i suspect that isnt helping the comfort factory (vibrations + noise)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts