Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I will say my main language is not English, but i try to discribe my situation.
I want to make my 4.4 more quaieter. Will start with trunk.
I have searched for the best materials and i have found these:
On the trunk floor: Silent Coat 2mm for vibration and on that Noise isolator 4mm
On the wheel arces Silent Coat Extra 3mm for vibration and on that Sound Absorber 35mm.
Expensive materials...

Here comes the questions:
1) Where can i found a guide or some ilustrative pictures to open up the trunk.
2) Can i open up the wheel arces without taking out the back seat row.

Planning to do this work on summer, right now i am just looking for some info.

Really looking for some answers.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hi,

I will say my main language is not English, but i try to discribe my situation.
I want to make my 4.4 more quaieter. Will start with trunk.
I have searched for the best materials and i have found these:
On the trunk floor: Silent Coat 2mm for vibration and on that Noise isolator 4mm
On the wheel arces Silent Coat Extra 3mm for vibration and on that Sound Absorber 35mm.
Expensive materials...

Here comes the questions:
1) Where can i found a guide or some ilustrative pictures to open up the trunk.
2) Can i open up the wheel arces without taking out the back seat row.

Planning to do this work on summer, right now i am just looking for some info.

Really looking for some answers.
Thanks for your time.
Your English is better than my Estonian! I agree about looking on the 4.3 forum regarding soundproofing as our Rav's are possibly too new for anyone to have experimented with soundproofing.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. I am stuck with ideas. I have been researching from internet how to take trunk apart. No clear answers. I really scare to brake these little plastic clips.

Can somebody help me out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, i will start with this project in summer, but really havent anyone taken the trunk appart?

Its the main question how and where to start with the assambely and does the wheel arces will come off without taking out the rear seats.

I am researching and researching but with no info.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I know, i will start with this project in summer, but really havent anyone taken the trunk appart?

Its the main question how and where to start with the assambely and does the wheel arces will come off without taking out the rear seats.

I am researching and researching but with no info.
This might be a long shot but has anyone experimented with spray foam (like the type they insulate walls with - the stuff that doesn't expand too much) as a vehicle sound insulation medium? It might help where parts are hard to remove but a small wand or nozzle could get under and spray the insulation. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would be careful with that - probably will be tough to remove it later if you put it on something you did not plan to (wires, mechanical stuff) or if you plugged drain holes by accident.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would be careful with that - probably will be tough to remove it later if you put it on something you did not plan to (wires, mechanical stuff) or if you plugged drain holes by accident.
Good point!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh nice, conversation has been started.

I have been thought about that spay foam, but yes i rather prefer "real"(couldent find a word to describe a materia) what i can paste to a bare metall. I am quite suprised, that on the internet there is few articles about taking the plastic trim off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts