Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that I am not the only one who has this problem. Their is an "acidic" smell that blows from the a/c ..more so when the A/C is off.

Any idea where this is coming from?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Its bacteria growing in your pipes man. Clean you cabin filter behind your glove box and get some A/C Deordorizer/Bacteria killer. I'm not sure of the name but it sprays into your intake and kills the bacteria. It works. It may be available at an auto parts store in your area or the dealer. Don't worry your Rav is not die'in even though sometimes it smells like it is. Marcutio Out!

T

·
0 Posts
mine has really bad smell too... dealer told me it's in cabnet filter, but then i pulled the filter out and it doesn't look bad and doesn't smell either.

i swear that smell wasn't there when dealer recommanded to change the filter... it was after i got it back from dealer... any chance they could of put something in ther??? i've heard on the news some dealer does some pretty nasty stuff when doing maintance.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
I've NEVER had this problem, but I almost ALWAYS run my A/C in FRESH mode... not RECIRC. IMHO, running in RECIRC all the time causes mold :?

Here's a TSB describing a fix... though the RAV4 is not included in the illustrations. I think the RAV4 A/C drain tube is located in the driver's kickwell, behind the side panel :? Warning to DIAL-UP users... this is a 9 page TSB :)

http://rav4world.com/tsb/AC002-97.pdf

T

·
0 Posts
Kelly you must live in a less populated area... when I drive down to LA , there's no way the air is "fresh" outside... I rather smell mold than carbon dioxide+carbon dust+whatever else is in that hazzy cloude over the city...lol

·
Registered
771 Posts
In Canada we have an abundance of clean air. Infact we sell it up here!. But your A/C will still smell after a while. All cars get it even $250,000 Mercedes Benz. The only diference is the owners of these don't fix it, they have "their mechanic" do it for them. I'm still working on the name of the stuff I used to cure this problem. I'll post it when I do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a solution!

I called the dealer and a tech had the solution. He correctly diagnosed that i probably do not circulate air enough. He said that if I left it on "circulate" The smell will eventually go away. And it did! You all shoud try it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Note to all:

Don't forget to clean or replace the cabin air filter behind your "glove box" as often as it needs.

It depends where you live and how much driving you do. I clean mine in the spring and before the winter. Giddy-up! M out!

R

·
0 Posts
If you want to limit or control bacteria in your HVAC, make sure you use fresh air mode as much as possible not recirc, and also turn off the A/C about 1 minute before turning the RAV4 off and let the fan run full blast(its easier when you know ahead of time). This will dry out the ducts and ensure there is no moisture to grow bacteria or anything else.

I always do this when I know I will be stopping and I have never had a problem with any smell or bacteria in any car I have owned.

Its hard to do if its blistering hot outside, just roll the windows down a bit and with the fan running full blast, the ducts are still cool enough to keep you from melting.

For those who live in an area where the air outside is dirty, bad whatever, just make sure you have a good cabin filter. I make my own using hammock filters for furnaces(comes in a blanket which is easy to cut). It is MERV 11 and it captures dust, bacteria, pollen, smog etc. It captures enough particles for me. With the toyota basic filter I can smell the dust(you know the smell when running through a dirt road) and I see "stuff" blowing from the vents. With my own filter I see nothing nor do I smell the majority of things including some smoke. There is also no reduction in air passing through the filter(as long as I change it regularly).

I can post a set of pictures for those who want to know how I do it. Basically I can make about 20 filters with one package that I buy for 8.99(roughly $0.50 each) Since I install them flat I have to change them every 15 days but its a lot cheaper than buying a toyota cabin filter(cost $16). Costs me about $12 annually as opposed to over $70 with the toyota(I had to change them every two months)

Cheers

·
Registered
771 Posts
See all Canadian Air is not that clean people!

Eastern Canada is a lot Cleaner air so I only clean mine twice a year. I've only had to replace it once. I wash mine out and it seems to work OK. I like the idea of the make it yourself ones though.

I had a Van with a "Heppa" filter and it was great for pollen filtration and travelling through the U.S. I may get back into that again for next summer when we go on vacation again.

Good Idea! M. :idea:

R

·
0 Posts
Eastern Canada is a lot Cleaner air so I only clean mine twice a year. I've only had to replace it once..

Eastern Canada is the exhast pipe of North America!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts