Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago, I noticed a "howling" noise while driving down the highway. It's a new noise, very similar to what you hear when one of those jacked-up truck with the big knobby tires pass you. No lights on the dashboard, nothing stuck in the wheels or wheel wells. TPMS shows nothing amiss. Other than the noise, car drives fine. Not terribly loud, but enough to notice that 'something' isn't right.

Car is a 2015 Limited AWD that just hit 39,000 miles on the odometer, (yeah, right after the new-car warranty expired).

Any clues?

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Wheel bearing if it's constant, differential pinion bearing if it's worse when accelerating, or disappears when coasting.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Suggest taking the RAV to a dealer's service department for evaluation. If it's a drivetrain issue it is covered by the drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suggest taking the RAV to a dealer's service department for evaluation. If it's a drivetrain issue it is covered by the drivetrain warranty.
I'll do that. However, the warranty has expired. Are you saying that "the drivetrain warranty" is for longer than 3-years/36,000 miles?

Quickdtoo, I think you hit on it with the wheel bearings. It's speed related symptoms, not when accelerating. I'm just very surprised a new Toyota with only 39,000 miles would have a wheel bearing go bad.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I'll do that. However, the warranty has expired. Are you saying that "the drivetrain warranty" is for longer than 3-years/36,000 miles?

Quickdtoo, I think you hit on it with the wheel bearings. It's speed related symptoms, not when accelerating. I'm just very surprised a new Toyota with only 39,000 miles would have a wheel bearing go bad.

Suggest that you read the warranty booklet which should have been included with your RAV. Standard Toyota drivetrain warranty is for 60,000 miles/5 years.

Reactions: volosong

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Suggest that you read the warranty booklet which should have been included with your RAV. Standard Toyota drivetrain warranty is for 60,000 miles/5 years.
Will do. And, I'll look specifically what components are considered part of the drivetrain. Hopefully the wheel bearings are.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everyone. This is what makes this forum so valuable and useful.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:

Dropped off the car Tuesday night at the dealership and picked it up last night. The source of the noise was indeed the left front wheel bearing. And as suggested, it was indeed replaced free-of-charge under warranty; the 60,000 mile/5-year powertrain warranty. Even though it was 500 miles early, I had the 40k mile oil change/service performed. The service tech, who I always deal with, had to check that my car has the 60k/5yr powertrain warranty. By him having to do that, I assume that not all Toyota products have such a warranty.

The repair/maintenance techs suggested that the throttle body be cleaned. "How much?" "About 65 buck." "Okay, sure." The service tech said that the recommendation is to have it cleaned every 30,000 miles, and is heavily dependent on the type of gasoline used. He went on to explain that even though Costco is a Tier 1 gasoline, it does not have the additives that Standard Union, Mobile, or even Atlantic Richfield have. He suggested that I not use Costco gasoline; and that if I do, to purchase a bottle of Techroline from a Chevron station about every fifth time I fill up, and at that fillup, to use the premium grade gasoline.

Again, thanks to everyone with your suggestions, help, and support.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
The repair/maintenance techs suggested that the throttle body be cleaned. "How much?" "About 65 buck." "Okay, sure." The service tech said that the recommendation is to have it cleaned every 30,000 miles,
Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - Falling for the old throttle body cleaning trick! :)

My dealership has been trying to get me to pay for this "service" for 8 years now. Along with fuel injector cleaning and transmission flush. These "services" are not recommended by Toyota, only by the dealership which is trying to milk you for more money.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would question his statement about costco gasoline. Sounds like he's trying to justify the throttle body cleaning by giving alternative facts.
https://www.costco.com/gasoline-q-and-a.html
Is Costco Gas Quality the Same as Exxon, Shell and Chevron? - SavingAdvice.com Blog - Saving Advice Articles

BTW at my old dealership, the service writer and the mechanic get a commission. Hence the leading of the customer to added work.

The lead mechanic who does quality control of only large repairs (motor/trans) doesn't get a commission.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - Falling for the old throttle body cleaning trick! :)

My dealership has been trying to get me to pay for this "service" for 8 years now. Along with fuel injector cleaning and transmission flush. These "services" are not recommended by Toyota, only by the dealership which is trying to milk you for more money.

Amazing! At my 20K service 2 weeks ago I asked about cleaning the throttle body/MAF sensor...the service writer 0:) poo pooed that idea; he said it could cause problems if it was messed with. :surprise

Different strokes for different folks I guess!:wink

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Congrats of the fix volosong.

I never use Costco gas, the last time I waited in line for gas was in the mid 70's, never again even to save a few cents a gallon unless it's an absolute emergency. I'd bet most of those folks waiting in the Costco gas lines waste more gas idling than they save in cost.:wink

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Last time my dealer tried to sell me on the TB cleaning they wanted $300 for it. Yeah, right....

·
Registered
8,530 Posts

Same experience here, and to make it even more laughable the dealer first tried to sell me on throttle body cleaning when I had about 9,000 miles on my RAV! Also, two services ago said that my battery was low on capacity and they would replace it for $110. I have a battery capacity tester and even though the OEM Johnson Controls battery is a few months more than six years old it still tests at 525 CCAs (same battery as new CCAs listed at 550). Service advisors usually are paid at least in part on incentive commission basis.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm just very surprised a new Toyota with only 39,000 miles would have a wheel bearing go bad.
That is very surprising. I've never heard of it either, except when oversized tires were used.

Looking at replacement OEM bearings, they are clearly marked Japan. So my guess that Toyota would not cut corners in important places and get Chinese bearing was right. They are still using good Japanese bearings.

Could be 1 in 1,000,000 manufacturing defect. I doubt we'll be like BMW/Audi forums where everyone replaces their bearings every 50K. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ha ha! Got me there. Yeah, Looks like I am the fool.

I won't fall for that trick again. You all know the ol' cliché, "Fool me once . . . shame on your. Fool me twice . . . shame on me." This will realistically be the last I need to deal with this dealership anymore as I start my pseudo retirement next week, (start burning two months of accrued vacation time), before I officially retire at the beginning of April and will be moving to a different state.

- - -

The service tech didn't push me on it, but said the tires are shot and need to be replaced. I knew they are just about there. Driving over the mountain really wear on the edges of tires. However, I snagged a set of XLE 17" pulls to replace my Limited 18" wheels. Already purchased another set of TPMS sensors and the Techstream software to register them. I'll just go to my favorite tire shop next week to get a set of tires. I'm hoping the extra tire height will help soften the ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ha ha! Got me there. Yeah, Looks like I am the fool.

I won't fall for that trick again. You all know the ol' cliché, "Fool me once . . . shame on your. Fool me twice . . . shame on me." This will realistically be the last I need to deal with this dealership anymore as I start my pseudo retirement next week, (start burning two months of accrued vacation time), before I officially retire at the beginning of April and will be moving to a different state.

- - -

The service tech didn't push me on it, but said the tires are shot and need to be replaced. I knew they are just about there. Driving over the mountain really wear on the edges of tires. However, I snagged a set of XLE 17" pulls to replace my Limited 18" wheels. Already purchased another set of TPMS sensors and the Techstream software to register them. I'll just go to my favorite tire shop next week to get a set of tires. I'm hoping the extra tire height will help soften the ride.
Are your 18" Limited wheels these by chance? If so, would you consider selling them?

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are your 18" Limited wheels these by chance? If so, would you consider selling them?
Nope. I think your picture is from the SE model. Mine are from a Limited, and I'm keeping them for snow tire use during the winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nope. I think your picture is from the SE model. Mine are from a Limited, and I'm keeping them for snow tire use during the winter.
Just looked it up.. the wheels are from a 2016 Hybrid Rav4. My wife really likes those and i'm using her stock wheels for winter tires. Hoping to find those wheels to put on some summer tires

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found the pulls on eBay and were located at a "local" tire shop. ("local" meaning in the L.A. Basin, so I was able to drive to pick them up and save the shipping charges). They must have sold a new set of wheels to a RAV owner and kept the old wheels for whatever reason. A lot of different Lexus, Avalon, Highlander, and Camry wheels will fit the RAV, but just to be safe concerning the wheel offset, I elected to stick with RAV wheels. For cleaning purposes, I wanted the simplest design I could find. Sharp corners on wheels are just brake dust magnets.

Reactions: HiccaBurp
1 - 20 of 24 Posts