Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are expecting our first child early next year and both have very old coups. We want to get a crossover SUV (cliche right), to give us better safety and more space for transporting a family.

We also have a 55 lb German Shepherd that we like to take out occasionally to the beach, parks, family, etc. I know with the 2nd row seats down she'd have a lot of room, but once baby comes, she'd be relegated to the rear behind the 2nd row seat. We know there will be times where we need to transport baby and the dog. Most trips are less than 30 minutes, so we can live with a little cramped space for the dog.

We've bounced around whether we should look at the Highlander, but it's a little more costly to get comparable features (TSS-P, convenience features). I am just wondering if anyone else has been in this kind of situation regarding transporting kids and dogs and has any perspective.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You can leave part of the rear seat up and part of it down. You'll want to be sure the dog has access to the kid to keep his/her face clean.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My wife and I are expecting our first child early next year and both have very old coups. We want to get a crossover SUV (cliche right), to give us better safety and more space for transporting a family.

We also have a 55 lb German Shepherd that we like to take out occasionally to the beach, parks, family, etc. I know with the 2nd row seats down she'd have a lot of room, but once baby comes, she'd be relegated to the rear behind the 2nd row seat. We know there will be times where we need to transport baby and the dog. Most trips are less than 30 minutes, so we can live with a little cramped space for the dog.

We've bounced around whether we should look at the Highlander, but it's a little more costly to get comparable features (TSS-P, convenience features). I am just wondering if anyone else has been in this kind of situation regarding transporting kids and dogs and has any perspective.

Thanks.
My 2016 SE has a very harsh ride. Not complaining as I knew going into the purchase and I love the handling around curves/corners, but it's quite bumpy for my passengers. Others on this forum have said that the other trims also have a bumpy ride too. With that said, not sure if a bumpy ride is safe for your soon to be newborn. The baby's head might be taking on a lot of bumps with his neck muscles not being fully developed. You might want to have someone test drive while you and your wife sit in the back seat and judge the ride for yourselves.

Maybe when your baby is a little older is when you should buy a RAV4. Good luck and early congrats.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The 3rd generation RAV4 (2006 - 2012) was *very* popular with dog owners because of the rear swing gate door and low rear floor. The big advantage is that you can open the rear door just a little ways and reach in to get the leash without the dog being able to get out and away from you. That is much more difficult to do with a liftgate.

It also has special brackets in the ceiling for a dog cage that went up behind the rear seats, to keep Fido from going over the back seats (intentionally or not, e.g. during a hard stop). Though if I recall correctly those cages weren't always easy to find, at least in the US.

The "Base" and "Limited" versions also weren't known for particularly bumpy rides. I have no complaints about that in mine.

HOWEVER, the 3rd generation RAV4 is older and does not have advanced technology features available such as blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, automatic stop with pedestrian detection, etc.

But it's an option with advantages you at least may want to know about. Plus buying used will save you a ton of cash, which one would think a young family could surely use.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It should be ample space. Even with the seats up there is a fair amount of room. I believe it's best in class for cargo space. One thing to note though, don't consider the hybrid if you plan to fold the seats for your dog. The rear seats don't fold flat in the hybrid but come very close to flat in the gas model.

And the poster who mentioned the rough ride in the SE, it has a stiffer suspension than the others. If you're looking at new vehicles OP, the 2016+ suspension has been improved over the much more poorly implemented 2013-2015 years. Obviously the xle or le will have a slightly better ride than the limited with its larger rims.

But if you do find you need more space after test driving one, I'm afraid you may have to bump up to mid size suv territory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts