Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone priced an extra key (a third key) for a 2006 RAV4. I am assuming they are only available at Toyota and am wondering what they charge....

·
Registered
229 Posts
My guess is about $200.. They are ridiculous now because of the "chip".. :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spare keys

On my Ford, the key has a chip in it. As long as you have two "coded" keys, you can get a copy at a locksmiths for about $25 and then program it yourself, using the two already programmed keys (you insert each key and turn it on, then off and when you then insert the blank key, the car programs it too)
But don't the RAV4 keys also have the door lock/unlock buttons built in ? (wondering if you can get a regular blank like above and and program it and then just have to unlock the door by inserting the key into the lock?)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I purchased keys from Home Depot. I took my key with the Remote (keyless entry, I don't have the remote starter), and had one key made to see if it would start the car. The key worked, so I bought 2 more. I know my keys don’t have the chip in it. It is worth a try, as it only cost me $1.70. If it doesn't work, get the checkbook or credit card out & pay the dealer. I guess there is a price for security.

·
Registered
779 Posts
An old trick I used with my previous car with a chipped key was to transfer the old chip to a new key when the old key wore down. Most locksmiths should be able to do this. Not much help if you have lost a key or need a third but a good solution if you just want to replace a worn key.

R

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
the only key with a chip is the Limited. Base and sports use regular keys
Hmmm...we were told ours did, and we have a Base. Is it because of our security system...the RS3200 Plus? I wonder if we misunderstood something. When we went to have our emergency key made...they had to use the one with the security system on it...not the valet key.

R

·
0 Posts
Chalk this up to another false statement our salesman gave us! HE told us so many things that aren't true!

·
Registered
102 Posts
My dealer told mw that I would only be able to have them make me the $200 key. That was the reason U went to Home Depot to see if I could get a cheap workable key, which, per the above, I did. Again, wrong info from a dealer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep the keys work fine. I have an obsession on having enough keys. I never want to be locked out. The security of the chips is nice, but not the price and incontinence of having to have them done at the dealers. I ran into that with our Mercury.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Among Toyota Motor Corp. brands, replacement Lexus keys have to be purchased through dealers -- though Toyota keys don't.

Check my album for more info.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry for the misspelling, as you can figure, I intended inconvenience. I guess I had better proofread things.

Anyway, the keys from Home Depot work fine.

B

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
Jim your dealer lied. You have a Sport. No chip in the key. The home depot key WILL work
Can anyone confirm that a Home Depot key will not work on a Limited?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts