Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for just a plain steel spare rim for a 09 V6 Sport SAP, rim size is 18"
Does anyone know what might work? Maybe something I can pick up from a junk yard, find on CL, Researching this is becoming confusing?
Even a couple local tire shops couldn't help.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
They are easy to find in the junk yard. It depends where you live and if you live near a big city that have lots of cars that are wrecked. If it is just a spare tire for emergency you can use a 17 inch wheel. It does not have to be a 18 inch wheel since you are using it in case you have a flat only. It is also harder to find 18 inch steel wheels compared to 17 or 16 inch ones. The ones for the RAV4 comes only in a alloy wheel for the 18 inch size and I don't know other Toyota models in steel wheel sizes would fit the RAV4.

This site may help with sizing.

Since you have the SAP model it means you don't have a spare tire at the back door so it would be kept in the cargo area?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I was only going to use it (throw it on a roof top carrier) on long trips where there are long distances between any kind of service, on a day to day I would not carry it.
I live in a pretty small town 1 wrecking yard, Ill give it a try.
So a 17" rim would be no problem? even with all wheel drive?

Thanks,

·
Registered
431 Posts
Bought mine from Costco 2 yrs ago when I lived in Canada.. cheapest I could find too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Thanks,
I was only going to use it (throw it on a roof top carrier) on long trips where there are long distances between any kind of service, on a day to day I would not carry it.
I live in a pretty small town 1 wrecking yard, Ill give it a try.
So a 17" rim would be no problem? even with all wheel drive?

Thanks,
The 17 inch steel wheel is ok since it will fit and will be pretty close to the diameter of the 18 inch if you get the right size tire. If you haven't notice many car manufacturers use those small donut size spare tire so it should work just as well.

If you put the tire on the roof rack make sure it is strapped on good so it will not fall off. You may consider putting that spare tire in the cargo area if you have enough room because the tire will cause some wind drag and noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info,
I think I'll get an aluminum rack for the top, It will be used to store more than just the spare tire.this set up will only be used for long trips.

·
Registered
431 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts