Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to my 06 RAV4, I had an 03 Rav4. On the 03 I had a Thule Spare Tire Bike Rack that mounted under the spare tire.

The spare tire mount on the new 06 RAV is different, and I can't use the old bike rack. There is a "lip" coming through the spare now, and it interferes with the main mount of the bike rack that goes under the tire.

I've been trying to find a solution, but nothing so far.

I don't want one of the racks that goes over the spare tire. I don't trust them.

I can't afford to install a hitch.

Any solutions? :?:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_sp.aspx?p_id=1359&v_id=0

Same problem here... except I actually made the mistake of BUYING the OSI Spare Tire rack mount and - when it arrived - I discovered that "lip" issue that keeps it from fitting. What a bummer - especially after it was specifically listed as being able to fit on a 2006 RAV4.

So now I'm also trying to figure out how to connect a bike rack - tow bar? roof rack? in the back storage area? Can't say I've got any great ideas quite yet.

But wait ... what do you think about getting out a metal saw and hacking off a piece of the bike rack mount so it WILL fit on the RAV4 spare tire mount? Worth a try? :idea:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw off...

I was actually at a bike shop yesterday and they suggested sawing off the lip. I'm not sure. Maybe as a last resort. It has to be there for some reason.

I even asked the Toyota Dealer's parts Dept. if the old tire mount would fit the new Rav. They weren't sure, and I would have to preorder the unit and pay for it even if it wouldn't work.

I'll wait it out a little longer. Like someone said to me, the car is still brand new. Hopefully, someone will come out with something for it. The Ravs are to popular to ignore.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: Saw off...

I see. Obvously there to help take the wheel on and off without dropping it on yourself. From the looks of it I think the bracket off my old Spare Me rack would mount on that upside down because it's only attached at the top. I would say that Thule is working on a solution if they haven't already come up with one, you should try calling them.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Saw off...

I see. Obvously there to help take the wheel on and off without dropping it on yourself. From the looks of it I think the bracket off my old Spare Me rack would mount on that upside down because it's only attached at the top. I would say that Thule is working on a solution if they haven't already come up with one, you should try calling them.[/quote]

The Spare Me won't work. That's the one I tested over the weekend. The lip interferes with the disc mounting on the tire. Is your model 963?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoke to thule

I just spoke to Thule and they were not aware of this lip on new RAVs. I spoke to a tech and he said the model he saw prior to release did not have this lip on it.

He did offer to pay a visit to a Toyota dealer to check it out, and he is going to call me back! Talk about great customer service.

I'll post whatever he tells me.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Spoke to thule

rtteachr said:
I just spoke to Thule and they were not aware of this lip on new RAVs. I spoke to a tech and he said the model he saw prior to release did not have this lip on it.

He did offer to pay a visit to a Toyota dealer to check it out, and he is going to call me back! Talk about great customer service.

I'll post whatever he tells me.
Unfortunately, the Thule tech called me back with disappointing news. As we know, the rack will not work on the new Rav4. He said he doesn't see any adapter coming in the near future since they do have a roof rack option available.

Time to contact Yakima? :wink:

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thule 963 Spare Me rack for 2004 RAV4

I'm thinking of getting the Thule 963 Spare Me bike rack for my 2004 RAV4. How happy were you with this product? Any problems encountered? How much shaking is there when travelling on a full load at full speed? And do you need to unload the bikes before opening the tailgate?

I've come up with one negative review online. Check out -
http://www.epinions.com/content_183380250244

Thanks!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Thule 963 Spare Me rack for 2004 RAV4

olivermd said:
I'm thinking of getting the Thule 963 Spare Me bike rack for my 2004 RAV4. How happy were you with this product? Any problems encountered? How much shaking is there when travelling on a full load at full speed? And do you need to unload the bikes before opening the tailgate?

Thanks!
Loved it. Would still be using it if I could.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: Thule 963 Spare Me rack for 2004 RAV4

olivermd said:

Thanks!
Water does collect in the tubes and if the bikes are not secured they will move around and cause damage. I fixed both problems by simply drilling a hole in the bottom center of the rack to attach a bungie cord too and allow condensation to drain out.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spare tire rack

UPDATE: I finally gave up on the spare rack route ... went with a tow hitch model that's working like a charm! :idea:

I posted info and pictures on this forum if you're interested. Good luck!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have the tire mount hitch that I used on my Honda CRV. I am going with the hitch mount for 2 reasons. I think it will put less stress on the tailgate and I want to carry more than 2 bikes sometimes.

While I think that the tire mounts (the bolt on kind not the kind that slip over the tire) are secure, I always was a little uneasy with this setup for some reason. I used a tie down to give it an extra bit of stability on the tire. The one benefit to this type is that you can leave the bikes on and open the door. That's why I'm going with the swing our rack on the hitch if all goes well.

I never had any problems with the rubber securing straps. I did use bungie cords to take any movement out of the bikes. I've put many miles on with this setup (and at high speeds) and it was always fine.

If someone would like to purchase my old CRV rack, PM me and I'll send them pics of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Spare tire rack

PghRAV4 said:
UPDATE: I finally gave up on the spare rack route ... went with a tow hitch model that's working like a charm! :idea:

I posted info and pictures on this forum if you're interested. Good luck!
Hey PghRAV4, got some questions for you. It look's like you went with the Swagman/Xport bike rack. Any issues? Did you use an externder? Are you able to fold it up?
Thanks for your response.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts