257 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Following the link provided you'll see at the very top of the page:

963 - Spare Me Spare Tire Carrier
CAPACITY:

2 Bikes

This popular spare tire bike carrier is getting a facelift. Look for all new styling and bulletproof assembly.

SKU# 963
CAN $250.00

Can't tell you where to find that on the US site, everytime I try to access the US site, it detects I'm in Canada and I get bounced back to the Canadian site :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wonder why I cant even find the spare-me at ALL for any vehicle on the website if I go there myself without the link. :?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Try Car Rack Systems

Then Browse by Sport -> Bike

Then Select Your Mount -> Hitch (counter-intuitive)

Then scroll all the way down and you should see it 2nd from the bottom

(The above is based on the Canadian site but my guess is that the US site is the same).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did anyone try the Yakima Spare Joe? I can't afford a hitch mount one either, because that means having to get the hitch and then the rack, which adds up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bought the Thule 963 Spare Me and bit the bullet and cut off my spare tire rest. I figured that I would rarely if at all use the rest and no one will notice it gone if I resell.
I have had about 9 vehicles in my life and never had to remove a spare tire once. Even so the mounting plate that stays on there all the time will serve nicely for a tire rest while I own the vehicle. I kept the rest, so I can always have it wielded back on.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I tried the Allen spare tire rack, and I couldn't get it to fit without resting on the back windshield and blocking the wiper. Also, I couldn't find anywhere to attach the bottom straps except on the plastic part of the door, which doesn't seem ideal.

Hitch mount seems the best option when I can afford it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Anyone tried the spare tire rack on hollywoodracks.com ? Buck twenty nine for a two biker. Saw one in the flesh and it looked snazzy, clean and efficient.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I searched and searched...

I looked and researched around quite a bit for a spare tire rack to no avail...

Until I came across Hollywood Racks spare tire mount.

Installed it a few months ago and it has been working like a charm. Easy to install and holds to bikes very securely.

I would recommend it to anyone that would be installing a hitch because they couldn't find a handy spare tire mount.

I think they'll be selling quite a few of these once the word gets out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spare Tire Bike Rack For 06 RAV???

I have the Thule spare tire bike rack on my '07 RAV. I did have to cut that lip off. I agree that the lip is just to help hold the tire up while getting nuts started. That's easy to live without. I think the bike rack is the best one I've ever owned. It's very solid. The bike doesn't move at all once attached. I add a single bungee at the bottom to keep the wheels from moving around and the bottom of the bike from swinging out away from the car. I only carry one bike. I don't think I would try to carry more than two (is that even possible on this model rack?) just because I don't know what the weight limit is on the spare tire mount.

This rack allows you to open the rear door with bike attached and also tow a trailer at the same time. It also functions as a spare tire lock. I bought a cloth spare tire cover and cut a hole in it rather than cut into the OEM cover.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
bought the thule rack, removed the spare tire mount, cut off the flange, two coats of black spray paint, reinstall, fits perfectly.

the spare tire cover fits with the plate installed and the rack removed

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sadly, the Hollywood rack does not work on a Limited - at least not without removing the rear part of the hard spare tire cover. I am selling mine in the classified section.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought the COBRA Spare Tire 2 Bike Carrier. Took about 15 minutes to cut and trim the obnoxious "protruding spare-tire-holder-upper", and VOILA!
See pics in my album.

·
Registered
13 Posts
963XT Spare Me

Good find mwhaley13,

I just purchased the 963 XT Spare Me rack today. There is a bracket that fits on the spare tire mount with a cut out for the spare tire rest. If you Google 963 XT Spare Me, you will notice that this rack is an updated version of the 963 with compatibility for Rav4's and FJ Cruisers.

The rack also includes the "anti-sway" feature, which some previous versions of the Thule racks lacked.

So far so good. The rack is very sturdy. With the stock 18" on my sport I did not need the optional rubber spacers that were provided. The 18" wheel is wide enough to allow the frame of the rack to rest on the tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
does the 963XT block much of your rear window (with no bikes)? obviously with bikes its going to. i'm deciding between this and the yakima sparetime. the sparetime looks like it might be less obtrusive although i'm not sure if the lock is included. having a bike carrier that doubles as a tire lock is sweet.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts