Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am a fairly new Toyota RAV4 owner wondering about the factory spare tire cover that is easily zippered off. I took it to the car wash today and it looks like it was loose so I pushed it in and it was back to normal. I am wondering today if anyone has had issues in the past with their tire cover and what your recommendations would be to not lose it in the future lol. Or if you have any interesting stories on the topic I would love to read about them as well. Thanks everyone have a great day!!!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
My spare wheel cover will never come off in a carwash - it requires something almost like C4 or Semtex to remove it!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...it looks like it was loose so I pushed it in and it was back to normal...
Maybe the last person didn't put it all the way back properly and you fixed it. Most folks report a really tight fit and a battle to get them off, no slack at all.

You might also check the size numbers on the spare tire and see if it is a 16-inch wheel, and maybe your cover is for the 17-inch wheels.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What year car do you have?

From what I know there are three different hard shell covers for the RAV.
-The Elastic only backed early model
-The latched version of the limited
-The elastic bottom, zippered top late model

·
Registered
403 Posts
When properly installed, I have a hard time getting it off. I'm not worried about it falling off.:smile

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Maybe the last person didn't put it all the way back properly and you fixed it. Most folks report a really tight fit and a battle to get them off, no slack at all.

You might also check the size numbers on the spare tire and see if it is a 16-inch wheel, and maybe your cover is for the 17-inch wheels.
The 16" OEM cover does not fit over a 17" OEM-sized tire. My 17" cover (elastic at bottom, zipper on top) fit snug, but I would not call it super tight. It will however not come off in a car wash.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The 16" OEM cover does not fit over a 17" OEM-sized tire. My 17" cover (elastic at bottom, zipper on top) fit snug, but I would not call it super tight. It will however not come off in a car wash.
Yeah, I've got the 16" OEM cover (elastic, no-zip). There is no way a 17" wheel will fit under it with just the slightest increase in overall circumference.

So figured there are two sizes, and maybe the OP has the larger cover and previous owner put on a smaller wheel as a spare. Easy enough to check and see. The OP mentioned he has an I4 07 Sport edition in his member intro statement. Do any of those have 18" wheels and larger covers?

Got me wondering if the 17" cover has just enough slack to accommodate those with 18" OEM wheels?

Yes, it is a slow news day as I ponder such weighty issues. :cool:

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
My base cover, over 17 inch spare, came off several times going through the carswash during the blow-dry phase. It has dings to show it. Once I did not notice it was missing until I got home. I have since lashed it on with a Bungee strap holding the bottom string to the wheel holes, and the cover has since has stayed on. This makes it just a little harder to check or add air. Make sure the spare is mounted with the valve up.

RAVN4RED: IIRC, a spare on 18 inch wheels is smaller than a spare on 17 inch wheels. That is because the P235/55R18 18 inch tire, as was used on the Sport, is smaller than the P225/65R17.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2007 rav4 sport, after checking it, it seems like its not going anywhere. I appreciate that information though, its good to know which models carry different tire covers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey everyone, I am a fairly new Toyota RAV4 owner wondering about the factory spare tire cover that is easily zippered off. I took it to the car wash today and it looks like it was loose so I pushed it in and it was back to normal. I am wondering today if anyone has had issues in the past with their tire cover and what your recommendations would be to not lose it in the future lol. Or if you have any interesting stories on the topic I would love to read about them as well. Thanks everyone have a great day!!!
It sounds like you have resolved your issue however I'll share my solution to the problem....

I was sick of the cloth cover looking like hell with all the salt in the winter etc... So I decided one fall to take the cover off and store it in my shed then put it back on in the spring. Also if memory serves me right there was no access to valve stem on the spare without taking the cover off. Which means you cannot easily monitor pressure in the spare. And I will agree with everyone here in saying that cover is a real b***h to get off. So you don't want to be struggling with it in - 40 degrees Celsius if the need ever arose.

So I went to put it back on in the spring and mice had chewed a hole through it while in storage in the shed........... *Insert a plethora of foul, foul language here*..............

So I bought a 5th centre cap and the rest is history

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Automotive tire Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car White Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
I can monitor my spare tire pressure with Techstream. The spare is the one that's 10 PSI higher than the other 4. When I go to use my spare, I would rather it has too much air than too little.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can monitor my spare tire pressure with Techstream. The spare is the one that's 10 PSI higher than the other 4. When I go to use my spare, I would rather it has too much air than too little.
That's awesome... So a laptop, interface cable and techstream software... I'm assuming the '08 Limited came with TPMS? Was that a factory option on all models?

Also, I'm with you on the extra 10psi in the spare

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
That's awesome... So a laptop, interface cable and techstream software... I'm assuming the '08 Limited came with TPMS? Was that a factory option on all models?
TPMS became mandatory on all cars in the US in September 2007. Toyota started using it way before that in the RAV4, 2004 I believe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
TPMS became mandatory on all cars in the US in September 2007. Toyota started using it way before that in the RAV4, 2004 I believe.
Interesting... I suppose that would explain why my Canadian Designated Market 2008 didn't come with TPMS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a flat last winter, took two of us to get the spare cover off. Don't know how, but a guy at my local tire shop had the cover back on in 5 minutes!

·
Registered
183 Posts
My spare tire cover came apart on me the last time I checked the air pressure (2009 17"). The threading had completely rotted, I bought some outdoor thread and sewed it back together myself, wish I had thought of getting a thimble though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My spare tire cover came apart on me the last time I checked the air pressure (2009 17"). The threading had completely rotted, I bought some outdoor thread and sewed it back together myself, wish I had though of getting a thimble though.
Admittedly after a few years of sun exposure and road salt it ends up very distressed and fragile.

Mice are a different story

1 - 18 of 18 Posts