Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the hard tire cover for the spare, but no one can seem to get it back over the tire? Is there a trick to making this easy?

·
Registered
272 Posts
if the tire you are trying to get it on is not original, it may not be the same diameter, and consequently it will be a bear to get on
I left mine off not only because it was difficult to get on even the original, but it is easier to make sure it is properly inflated, no point in a spare if it isn't inflated
plus IMO, it looks better

·
Registered
98 Posts
Learned long ago not to assume so much when someone asks a question like this. First question back to the OP is: If you grab the cover with both hands, can you TURN it on the wheel or does it seem as if glued to the spare?
Depending on answer: If it slides around but won't come off, did you unzip it? (It's surprising how many people don't know there's a big zipper on the back.)
If it's glued on, either take your time prying on the edges all around or a high volume air hose can be snaked around back and blown in between the cover and edge of the tire to loosen it.

Several years ago, we had the brilliant (seemed so at the time) idea to use a pressure hose to shoot in dish soap and water. By the time we gave up, half the garage was full of soap suds, the tire cover (on an RV) was so slippery that nobody could've ever grabbed it again, and it was still glued securely to a tire that eventually developed a small drill-bit sized puncture and rapid loss of air. There was another one in a couple months and we had more incentive to try the air hose first.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Strange. My still-stock spare and hardcover is loose. I pushed a thin layer of styrofoam inside the top to tighten it up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
speaking of assuming too much
the OP is trying to get it back on, not off
Ha! I see it now. English is a strange language. The way the original post is worded, it could go either way. I suppose the only way to get it ON to a tire when the cover is too small is to stand back and get a running start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts