Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone !
Haven't posted in a while. Still loving my 'OldGirl'.
I did have my first flat tire. Oddly, the head of the nail was embedded
and the point was sticking out ! Still flatter than a pancake !
Now I find out that my soft cover (for my spare) is not able to be put
back on.
I like the look of the hard cover, but don't know if my OldGirl is equipped
for one or if I have to stay with the soft cover.
Planning on some eBay shopping once I know the answer.
can anyone point me in the right direction ?
Thanks ?

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Check that your spare is the same size as the other tires.
Since the cover came off the spare, why won't it fit back on?
Stock cover will fit 215/70R16, but is too small to fit a 225/70R16.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check that your spare is the same size as the other tires.
Since the cover came off the spare, why won't it fit back on?
Stock cover will fit 215/70R16, but is too small to fit a 225/70R16.
Thanks Roundabout
The spare is the same size.
I couldn't put the old cover back on because the seam that holds the elastic , was ripped out
and they said it was no good ?
I've looked online and found some pretty good deals on soft covers.
They are also pretty specific on how to measure for a new cover.
It looks like a 1997 can't take a hard cover.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The 1996-2000 will take a hardcover if your spare is factory size. These hardcover were Toyota OEM. My car is a 2000 on the right with a painted factory hardcover and the one on the left is a 96 or 97 with unpainted factory cover. I'm not 100% sure but I think the factory spare tire cover for the 2001 and up Rav4 also fits ours.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi everyone !
Haven't posted in a while. Still loving my 'OldGirl'.
I did have my first flat tire. Oddly, the head of the nail was embedded
and the point was sticking out ! Still flatter than a pancake !
Now I find out that my soft cover (for my spare) is not able to be put
back on.
I like the look of the hard cover, but don't know if my OldGirl is equipped
for one or if I have to stay with the soft cover.
Planning on some eBay shopping once I know the answer.
can anyone point me in the right direction ?
Thanks ?

Trust me jeanovan, if you get a hard tire cover for your spare, you'll like the looks just fine, BUT when you get your next flat tire you'll wish you never bought it, they don't just slip on and off, you'll be fiddling around with little screws and nuts or fumbling with latch-brackets, or a pad-lock so your spare doesn't get stolen, and if it happens at night, on a dirt road, in the country? You will HATE it. You'll wish you'd just bungee-corded a trash bag over your spare tire to begin with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You'll wish you'd just bungee-corded a trash bag over your spare tire to begin with.
Also..if you use a lock on the tire cover then it could rust. I had to spray lots of WD40 and wait several hours before I could unlock it. It's not something you want to encounter when you have a flat

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also..if you use a lock on the tire cover then it could rust. I had to spray lots of WD40 and wait several hours before I could unlock it. It's not something you want to encounter when you have a flat
I agree. My hardcover for my 2 door 1997 Rav is a bear to put back on. Two many pieces to fiddle with. I think I'll look at the possibility of getting a soft cover.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
To get my hard cover to fit easily, I keep the spare tire at a lower pressure. I also carry a can of Fix-a-Flat that I can use to increase its pressure. Harbor Freight sells a little cheapo 12V air compressor that could do the same thing; I have one in a different vehicle for similar reasons. Never have needed to use the RAV4's spare yet.

Every couple of years I WD-40 the cover's padlock, and lock/unlock it several times to hopefully keep the lock in working condition. Might be overdue 'bout now ... thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Every couple of years I WD-40 the cover's padlock, and lock/unlock it several times to hopefully keep the lock in working condition. Might be overdue 'bout now ... thanks for the reminder!

WD-40 washes out pretty quickly, I use a rubber armored Masterlock with a lot of silicone spray inside of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts