Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rear ended last June and the soft fabric spare tire cover that says RAV4 on it had a rip so the insurance people replaced it. Toyota doesn't make the fabric cover anymore so I got a hard black plastic one with a small fabric "hat" at the top and a 10" zipper to tighten it up. I drove around for 6 weeks with no problem but I hooked up my holiday trailer and drove for an hour on a windy highway and my tire cover vanished. My spare tire is worn down to the wear bars but it was really hard to put it on. I bet if the tire was brand new this tire cover wouldn't have blown off but it would be a bugger to put on and take off. Has anyone else had this problem? Toyota Canada says there is nothing wrong with this cover and I am the first person to complain.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The problem with the half hard spare tire cover is that it tends to move around since nothing is holding it in one position. It is also so easy to steal because all you do is unzip it which takes 1 minute and your precious cover is now in the hand of someone. The zipper must have come loose to a point the wind was able to blow the cover off on the highway.

I secured mine so it would never fly off and made it very hard to steal. You can read my thread here how I did it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had my 2011 Rav4 for 3 years and I've only had the spare tire cover off once(Half-hard cover with zipper, same as yours). My spare is brand new. I've never had an issue with the cover moving at all. It fits snug.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts