Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have a plain-jane soft spare tire cover for my RAV4. I have no problems with it and have no intention to replace it immediately, but I have a question out of curiosity.

Does anybody know where to get a genuine Toyota spare tire half-cover? I have done various searches on the internet, but to no avail. I personally have not seen them around at all, except in my owners manual when it shows how to remove a spare tire with a half-cover.

It's a little difficult to explain how it looks, but if you can picture this, it looks very much like the spare tire cover on certain models of the Jeep Liberty and Land Rover Freelander. It simply fits on like a hubcap, bolted on with the lug nuts and leaves the rubber of the tires exposed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've seen the cover you speak of. I think those are only for Rav4s that have the steel rim spare tire back there. Don't think they fit the factory alloys, but I could be wrong. Have you talked to your local dealer? Hardly think that little piece would cost more than the soft/hard or full hard cover.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have the spare tire cover you're talking about, it came with my Rav since it was the base model with a steel spare. My alloys are Toyota accessories that were installed at the dealer so I only have four of them, as opposed to five alloys that come with some other Rav packages.

The "frisbee" cover (as I call it) comes in two models, one for alloys and one for steelies I believe, since the lips on the rims are different sizes. You would think they don't cost a lot of money, but the frisbee covers go for almost $100 from the Toyota dealer. I do know they show up on eBay every few weeks so just keep an eye out for them. If you really want one you can check a junkyard. Keep in mind that the frisbee covers require a bolt through the tire mount to hold them on in the middle.

Another thing to consider- the frisbee covers tend to trap snow inside the spare tire since they only cover the front and not the whole tire. My steelie is starting to get rusty, so you're probably better off with a full cover if you want to keep your spare wheel nice.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slayer said:
I've seen the cover you speak of. I think those are only for Rav4s that have the steel rim spare tire back there. Don't think they fit the factory alloys, but I could be wrong. Have you talked to your local dealer? Hardly think that little piece would cost more than the soft/hard or full hard cover.
No, I haven't had a chance to ask my dealer, but I guess I should. :p

Thanks for the picture! That's exactly what I was referring to. Even though it was featured in my manual, none of the Canadian versions have them... :lol:

It's more of a curiosty thing... I'm content with my soft cover for now... :)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff said:
I have the spare tire cover you're talking about, it came with my RAV since it was the base model with a steel spare. My alloys are Toyota accessories that were installed at the dealer so I only have four of them, as opposed to five alloys that come with some other RAV packages.

The "frisbee" cover (as I call it) comes in two models, one for alloys and one for steelies I believe, since the lips on the rims are different sizes. You would think they don't cost a lot of money, but the frisbee covers go for almost $100 from the Toyota dealer. I do know they show up on eBay every few weeks so just keep an eye out for them. If you really want one you can check a junkyard. Keep in mind that the frisbee covers require a bolt through the tire mount to hold them on in the middle.

Another thing to consider- the frisbee covers tend to trap snow inside the spare tire since they only cover the front and not the whole tire. My steelie is starting to get rusty, so you're probably better off with a full cover if you want to keep your spare wheel nice.
Thanks for the info! Even though I'm in no dire need to replace my existing soft cover, I was just a little curious because I saw it in my manual, but never seen one in real life. It would look a little cooler than my soft cover, but again, if it traps snow, debris, etc., then I'm better off with the soft cover. Besides, it doesn't really snow much here in Vancouver anyway (even though we've been covered with snow for the past two weeks - quite unusual to see snow in Vancouver for more than a few days per year!), but it's a consideration worth taking.

I'll definitely keep my eyes open on eBay.

Also, the design of the half-cover is a little different than what I expected. The one Slayer shows is snapped on like a hubcap after the tire is bolted back on to the tailgate. I thought the cover was bolten on with the tire (similar to the Freelander or the Liberty).

·
Registered
986 Posts
That cover doesn't pop on like a hubcap, it is held on with a large bolt through the middle.

If you look at the picture that Slayer posted, you can see a little round cap in the middle of the cover, to the right of where the TOYOTA name is. Well behind that cap is what looks like a large lug nut that is threaded onto a bolt, and that's what holds the cover onto the spare tire. If you were to take the tire off, you would see the 3 threaded studs that hold the wheel onto the bracket, and a middle threaded stud that goes through the center of the wheel and holds the cover on the wheel.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff said:
That cover doesn't pop on like a hubcap, it is held on with a large bolt through the middle.

If you look at the picture that Slayer posted, you can see a little round cap in the middle of the cover, to the right of where the TOYOTA name is. Well behind that cap is what looks like a large lug nut that is threaded onto a bolt, and that's what holds the cover onto the spare tire. If you were to take the tire off, you would see the 3 threaded studs that hold the wheel onto the bracket, and a middle threaded stud that goes through the center of the wheel and holds the cover on the wheel.
Ohhhh... OK... thanks for the clarification... :) one more question... the bolt stud that holds the cover in place is simply one of the studs for the lug nuts holding the tire in place, correct? If so, I can use my locking lug nut to prevent theft of either the cover and/or the tire. If I need a completely different bolt that I have to drill, then I'll be very happy keeping my soft cover. :p

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Rav4 has 5 Alluminum 5 spoke wheels and they slapped one of those ugly half covers on the back. I bought my Rav4 right when they 1st came to the US so I don't believe the soft covers were available quite yet. I have since replaced the 1/2 cover with a soft cover.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
...the bolt stud that holds the cover in place is simply one of the studs for the lug nuts holding the tire in place, correct?
No... it's a separate bolt that fits to a clamp through the center of the wheel. I don't think a lug nut fits it. :cry:

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't know if the retainer bolt itself will fit a standard lug nut, but I do know the "lug" style nut that comes with it will fit the standard 21mm Rav4 spare tire wrench. You have to buy this retainer bolt separately from the cover.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah and after a while the clip that holds the bolt into the center of the bracket breaks off, so it's hell to get the cover on and off. I had to hold my bolt on with some duct tape.... If I had a maching alloy as a spare I would just get rid of the cover entirely.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff said:
Yeah and after a while the clip that holds the bolt into the center of the bracket breaks off, so it's hell to get the cover on and off. I had to hold my bolt on with some duct tape.... If I had a maching alloy as a spare I would just get rid of the cover entirely.
I do have matching alloys... I think... I think my car might look better without the soft cover. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts