Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone.
First of all, I want to wish you a happy new year, keep on RAV'in !

I had my spare tire hard cover stolen during the holidays. I called the dealer to enquire about a new one: woa, 475$ !!!!! Is there anyone out there that knows if "aftermarket" covers exist and average prices ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I know how it feels. Had a camera stolen at Xmas. Gues that's how some blessed people do thier Xmas shopping.

Don't forget to put Llug Nut Locks on your spare.
If you have the Bridgstone Dueler H/T 687 235 60 R16
The tire alone is almost $300 CAN. installed

Also, put a small lock on your new cover.

Ebay is good for finding a cover but also go through your yellow pages for Scrap yards and see if there are any available.

Good Luck

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can look at this site: http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?brandsportinc+5JcpBG+toy-64771-42060-b0-pk1.html+r4w

If you click on the brandsport link is the sponsors section of this site you get a 10% discount, and ground shipping is free. That would be about $39USD discount, so that is well below what you would have to pay at the dealer, and you should be able to easily install it yourself. Then you can take the money you saved and buy a lock!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Heck you might even see your own spare tire cover on eBay!

Criminals selling stolen goods on eBay is becoming very popular.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its sad.... I see car parts on ebay that look like it could have been from my stolen car... *thumbs down* to car thieves

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's why everyone should invest the $3 in a small padlock for the rear spare tire cover. It not only protects the cover from theft, it protects your SPARE from theft.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There's a thread on that...most folks here were having trouble finding an all-weather lock that would fit the tiny hole on the spare cover. There was a whole thread on what locks would work. I found an Ace Hardware lock that works if you strip part of the plastic coating off the hasp.

Becky

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Master lock makes a set of small locks that are rubber coated. They even come in "designer" colors to match your RAV. (they have green, blue, red, white, black, etc.)

Any wallymart or Target or large hardware store will have them.

Find a screw/bolt/pen/pencil that will barely fit the hole. Then take that to the store. Find a washer that it barely fits through. Then test the washer on the locks to find the right fit.

If all else fails the brass units are more weathe resistant than the steel units.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry about your problem. To measure the hole for the size you need you can also use drill bits if you have them for an electirc drill. The drill bits are usually sold or kept in a box with t he size listed for each drill bit in the box. Just read off the size of the drill bit that fits most perfectly in the hole where the shackle of the lock will go on your Spare tire hasp flip lock and you will have the right size to look for when purchasing a weather resistant lock.
Like Becky, I also got my lock from an Ace Hardware Store.
Good luck!

·
Registered
119 Posts
There's a thread on that...most folks here were having trouble finding an all-weather lock that would fit the tiny hole on the spare cover. There was a whole thread on what locks would work. I found an Ace Hardware lock that works if you strip part of the plastic coating off the hasp.

Becky
THANKS Becky. I will get a lock for the cover and spare tire. Better safe then sorry.

RAV 08 4.3 Ltd V6 4wd Blizz. Prl. Wht. 23.8 mpg Love it!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
sadly even the small padlock didnt stop them from snatching the cover off my gen2-"04", they also took the vinyl/pleather tire cover off my gen1 "99". Both were in broad daylight, and for the better "04" cover it was parked on a busy street to boot. After the summer is over I am investing in an aftermarket locking hardcover for both trucks.
peace.

99'-Base 5 dr-AWD-*ECT-AUTO-hunter green-aftermarket foglights and bug deflector
04"-" 5dr "sports package-AWD-*ECT-AUTO-titanium-aftermarket foglights

1 - 12 of 12 Posts