Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 RAV4....On bumpy streets I get a rattle from the Hardshell
Cover on the spare tire. It seems the latch has some play in it but I can't figure how to quiet it down. Dealer says it's a bad design and didn't solve it. Anyone have any ideas or have this problem?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Try hitting the cover by the borders to snap it into the sockets so they sit properly. I used to have this problem of the cover rattling whenever I close the door. Then I tried hitting the cover and realsied that it wasnt sitting properly all this while.. eversince then no problem.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, its tricky and I've made sure it snaps into the sockets but it still does it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If what you say is true as the latch might have something to do with it, maybe try securing the latch with flexi cable ties? I didnt lock mine with any padlocks but only with a Thule keychain and went round the latch with 2 cable ties.

Alternatively is to remove the entire cover and let the spare be exposed instead... Many RAVers in Singapore club does that... Me included nowadays. (But make sure you remove the back cover too!)

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
RSHOOTER

Since the Dealer knows it’s a Design problem you should ask them where it is? :D

If after checking the latches like PaiKia mentioned does not work then I would do the following.

The first thing you can do is take off your cover and lie it on a blanket outside facing down.
You will see a series of thin adhesive Rubber cushions beside the snaps.
The four large top snaps have one cushion in-between each pair.
The smaller snaps on the bottom have a cushion on either side of it.

Then look down at the inner round edge of the cover and there should be 3 or 4 adhesive square foam cushions. They should be at 45, 135, 225, and 315 degrees.

Also make sure your tire is well secure.

What size tire do you have? Is it OEM?

One test you can do is to get something to stuff inside the cover like wrapping a towel around the tire, not obstructing the snaps and not too thick that the cover wont fit.

BTW: in the summer I have no tire inside, the snaps hold, and there is no noise.

Good luck,

Walt

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you're sure the rattle is coming from the spare cover....disregard this post...... :wink:
If you're not absolutely sure where it's coming from in the rear, consider the blinds on the cargo area cover if you have one.....
The blinds on mine rattle and and I hafta do something about them soon........there's a thread on here somewhere that deals with quieting them.....
To check....take out the cargo cover and go for a ride on a bumpy road...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the blinds off ... they were a nuisance. I will try checking the pads and see if that helps. The latch has a lot of free play even when closed. Will also try a strap tie. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually that did not completely solve the problem....this morning I got down on the ground and discovered that the tabs over which the cover must sit have some tension on them and I had to "stuff" them on the inside of the cover. Now the cover is fitted over all of those tabs all the way around and it fits tight and nice - no rattles.

If you have a rattle, get down so that you can see all the way around and make sure those tabs are all underneath the cover!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put heavy duty velcro from Home Depot on mine. I cut four pieces measuring about 1-1/2" of velcro (both halves), put half of it on the black plastic base that attaches to the tailgate and the other half on the inside of the hard shell, making sure that the two halves of velcro line up. This has kept the hard shell firmly in place on my RAV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts