Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2009 RAV4 Sport V6 yesterday and was happy to received it. I was checking the spare tire cover (has the 3/4 plastic cover with zipper - not the hard shell cover with latch like the LTD) and notice it has no lock. Seems like a theft can remove it in 3 seconds or less.

I made my spare tire cover more secure now that I wrapped a cable on the spare tire (looped it through the hole on one end). Tied the cable down to prevent it from moving up (made the space tighter so you can't fit a bolt cutter) and placed a small brass lock (1 inch) to the zipper hole. The green tape is where the end of the zipper joins the cable loop.

Not the best security but at least it is better than nothing. I can't prevent a determine theft but a casual one may pick a easier target.

Does anyone have a better system?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
I have a strong cable lock threaded through the spare wheel hole and spare tire mounting bracket. Someone may steal the cover but they would have a lot of trouble stealing the wheel itself.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I may do this also.

Not sure what the wheel holder is like on yours, but on my 4.1 it's possible to get at the bolts holding it to the door. So to make it harder for someone who knows this and is equiped, I changed the bolts for allen headed ones.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a strong cable lock threaded through the spare wheel hole and spare tire mounting bracket. Someone may steal the cover but they would have a lot of trouble stealing the wheel itself.
You just gave me a better idea. I should have wrapped the cable around the mounting bracket with a lock around the wheel to make it even more harder to steal the tire. Even though the wheels have wheel nut locks this would make it more difficult to steal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i have sport 18" wheels including the spare. so i bought an installed 5 wheel locks on all wheels. but my cover does not have the zipper, it can just be popped off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was thinking about changing the lugs on my spare, buying one of those "locking lugs" then buying a set of "tuner lugs" that require that special tool and then buying a set of "allen bolts/lugs" and putting one of each on there. Then the potential thief would need 3 different tools to remove the lugs. (Keeping all the tools in the trunk area for when I need them)
Tuner Lug

Locking Lug

Allen Lug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts