Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 RAV4 sport with v6 and it does not come with a spare tire. I am going on holidays to a more remote area here in Canada and would like to carry a spare for this trip. I currently have 235/55/r18 tires on my RAV4 but I do have a set of winter tires on rims 225/65/r17 and I was considering using a winter tire as a spare.

I checked the tire charts and the circumference of the two tires is very close. That being said, I don't want to use the spare if it is going to cause harm to the AWD system if it has a slight circumference difference.

Or do I need to buy a spare tire with exactly the same tire size?

Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Dave

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
You should have no problems as long as the spare tire fits under the spare tire cover assuming you don't have the SAP package. If you don't have a spare tire because you have the SAP then carry it in the rear cargo area. Also don't go too fast if you have that spare snow tire on if you need to used it since braking and stability may not be as good. The chances are low getting a flat but could be a major inconvenience if you are stuck in a remote area.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You should have no problems as long as the spare tire fits under the spare tire cover assuming you don't have the SAP package. If you don't have a spare tire because you have the SAP then carry it in the rear cargo area. Also don't go too fast if you have that spare snow tire on if you need to used it since braking and stability may not be as good. The chances are low getting a flat but could be a major inconvenience if you are stuck in a remote area.
Thinking he's one of the rare ones with the SAP.

Wish I could find a lightweight donut spare in the same circumference as stock. Very tempted to take mine off entirely and just put it on for out of town travels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts