Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to put my third set of tires on my 03, and I was thinking about what to do with the spare tire. It's never been used, never once in its life. Still has the original nubs on it and looks brand new, however it's 14 years old. Being the car is 14 years old, I'm thinking I shouldn't trust it in the event of an emergency. Would you replace it if you were me? Or should I just roll the dice? I'm thinking about just replacing it, curious if anyone has been in a similar situation recently.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I buy insurance planning to never use it but have it just in case. Replacing a 14 year old tire would seem like a similar action, paying a bit of money up front to protect down the line. Imagine all the various driving you do and being stuck at the side of the road because both the damaged tire and the spare are unusable. Maybe it's on the way to work for an absolutely can't miss meeting, on the way to a kid's wedding/graduation, on the way to the hospital to have the kid or whatever. Murphy and the aliens look for those times to strike. You don't even have to buy a 5th super good Michelin or whatever. An inexpensive tire will do for a spare. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Personally I wouldn't replace it if it's been kept under its cover and out of the UV, the biggest killer of unused or little-used tires such as the ones on my camper trailer. But then I don't have to commute to work in heavy city traffic and am seldom in a have-to-get-there-immediately situations. And thanks in part to the TPMS, I can't remember the last time I had a flat. The spare on our '06 has probably never been used either.

Technically you were supposed to have rotated a full-sized spare thru the rotation sequence so all five are the same age and wear. So if you do replace it this would be a good time to start using it that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts