Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking around, I have the impression that the spare tire wheel is a steel one and not an alloy one regardless if the wheels on the vehicle are alloy wheels. Is this a correct assumption?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
According to Toyota's USA eBrochure, only the Sport has an alloy wheel spare. Looking at the printed brochure, it says the same thing!!

Hopefully this isn't right! :shock: Say it isn't so!!!



In both prior generations, the L always had five alloys! :? :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Well, I picked mine up today. The Euro version with 17" alloys (in the Netherlands at least) gets a spare alloy. Unless you have 4 steels of course. I had the dealer take the cover off. Handy if I ever curb one of my alloys. Which I would never do of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
pweezil said:
At least in my case, unfortunately, it is so!
How in the world are you supposed to rotate the wheels then? Any full size spare setup must have the 5th wheel the same as the other four, or you'd need to remount tyres every 9000 km or 5000 miles. This just sounds too insane to exist.

I've got 17" steel wheels, so I cannot tell what the situation with alloys is for sure, but you scare me.

If you had a compact spare, it would be different, but this is not what we are talking about, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
A spare is a spare whether it's compact or not. Would you really want a worn down spare if you get a flat on one of the other wheels?

Actually, it's not really a spare in this case...it's temporary.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
zaitcev said:
pweezil said:
At least in my case, unfortunately, it is so!
How in the world are you supposed to rotate the wheels then? Any full size spare setup must have the 5th wheel the same as the other four, or you'd need to remount tyres every 9000 km or 5000 miles. This just sounds too insane to exist.

I've got 17" steel wheels, so I cannot tell what the situation with alloys is for sure, but you scare me.

If you had a compact spare, it would be different, but this is not what we are talking about, right?
you use your 4 tires to rotate them front/back, you dont rotate 5th spare tire!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
kuj said:
A spare is a spare whether it's compact or not. Would you really want a worn down spare if you get a flat on one of the other wheels?
The Owner's Manual says to rotate through the spare when using the same type. See page 376 in the North American manual, for example.

And of course I want a worn down spare, because it's worn down at the same rate as the other wheels. Otherwise I'm runing a risk of overheating my differentials.

Cheesh people, you're like born yesterday. Tyres always were rotated through the spare, even on 2x4 cars, until "compact spare" donut became popular.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
Don't think it was mentioned, but it should be somewhat obvious that rotating in a fifth would greatly increase the lifespan of your tires, as long as you rotate on a regular basis -- distributes the mileage across more tread, one always being off the road at any given time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
zaitcev said:
kuj said:
A spare is a spare whether it's compact or not. Would you really want a worn down spare if you get a flat on one of the other wheels?
The Owner's Manual says to rotate through the spare when using the same type. See page 376 in the North American manual, for example.

And of course I want a worn down spare, because it's worn down at the same rate as the other wheels. Otherwise I'm runing a risk of overheating my differentials.

Cheesh people, you're like born yesterday. Tyres always were rotated through the spare, even on 2x4 cars, until "compact spare" donut became popular.
Depends how you treat your spare. I treat my spare as temporary. I use it to get the flat tire fixed and then put it back.

What is their definition of "the same wheel type"? The spare tire wheel is different on the Limited. It's a steel wheel. The regular wheels are alloy. So in this case, you don't rotate the spare in, right?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top