Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
For the last 11 years, I've been driving without a spare tire. The cars I had came with first-gen run flats. They had the horrible effect of tramlining (tending to ride in highway ruts, no matter how shallow). I got rid of them and just used regular tires, keeping a compressor in the trunk. However, my last car had a real TPMS that actually gave you the pressure of each tire in real-time.

IMHO, unless you're driving off-road, spare tires are unnecessary 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
642 Posts
For the last 11 years, I've been driving without a spare tire. The cars I had came with first-gen run flats. They had the horrible effect of tramlining (tending to ride in highway ruts, no matter how shallow). I got rid of them and just used regular tires, keeping a compressor in the trunk. However, my last car had a real TPMS that actually gave you the pressure of each tire in real-time.

IMHO, unless you're driving off-road, spare tires are unnecessary 99.9% of the time.
Well I couldn't disagree more. I have had flat tires several times over the years far from home, and with a full size spare I simply installed it and went on my way, vs having to waste time looking around for a tire shop and waiting around for them to fix it, etc. However to each their own.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I see no problem using a smaller spare. I’m not out in the boondocks and if I was and really had to, I’d just use a Slime plug repair kit as I’ve had good luck with them.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I see no problem using a smaller spare. I’m not out in the boondocks and if I was and really had to, I’d just use a Slime plug repair kit as I’ve had good luck with them.
The smaller tire wouldn't bother me - however my Toyota temp spare was actually taller. The issue is the temporary spares have a max speed limit of 50mph, and a very limited life. So if I am travelling far from home and get a flat - now what - take all the back roads home - or get my tire fixed are my only options. Or, I am out of town on business, which I am frequently, and my daughter or wife get a flat? This way, they can simply have AAA put on the spare and leave it until I return - they have no issue driving anywhere they want.

I also carry a plug kit, and they do work well if you know how to use them. 90% of flats are nails in my experience, so a plug works pretty good.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The smaller tire wouldn't bother me - however my Toyota temp spare was actually taller. The issue is the temporary spares have a max speed limit of 50mph, and a very limited life. So if I am travelling far from home and get a flat - now what - take all the back roads home - or get my tire fixed are my only options. Or, I am out of town on business, which I am frequently, and my daughter or wife get a flat? This way, they can simply have AAA put on the spare and leave it until I return - they have no issue driving anywhere they want.

I also carry a plug kit, and they do work well if you know how to use them. 90% of flats are nails in my experience, so a plug works pretty good.
My approach has always been that you use the stock smaller spare to get you to a place to get the regular tire fixed. I guess a regular sized spare would be great if it would fit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Toyota just lost a sale...for now. I just got off the phone with Toyota corporate (800-331-4331) who told me that the wheel well won't fit a full size spare. Wazzupwiddat? To make matters worse they market the RAV4 as "designed to meet most off-road driving requirements." See brochure Footnote 13. Maybe the geniuses at Toyota believe doughnuts are tough enough. Right!!! And of course the brochures/manuals say nothing. But I'm sure dealers will inform potential buyers. Right again!!! If enough people find out about it and complain maybe Toyota will find the room to fix this stupidity. The CSR said mgmt reviews all the customer call comments which, in my case, were duly noted. Hopefully, Toyota hears/reads these comments and takes action. If they don't I think they will get a big black eye. Buyer beware......unless you have faith in your doughnut. :surprise:mad::confused:
I don’t know why they told you that, I have a 2019 Adventure and the full size spare fits just fine. You have to remove the little black rubber piece in the front of the spare tire well. The only thing you lose is the ability to lower the deck! I can take some pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The dismounted 235/55R19 tire will fit, but it's a little too tall at the front for the deck board to fit flush, rear of the deck board fits flush as it normally would, I'd expect an inflated tire to at least raise the front of the board a big higher even if the black rubber block was removed. Note the spray-on sound deadener in the well.

Take out the black rubber piece. It will fit.

·
Premium Member
7,794 Posts
Take out the black rubber piece. It will fit.
We've been there already long time ago.

[/QUOTE]

Posted a long time ago.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The RAV comes with various size tires. It would be nice if that video actually stated what size tire it was dealing with.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use the exact stock wheel/tire as spare (225/60R18 for 2020 TRD) in order to rotate with all 5 wheels. When I have to replace tires, I'll replace all 5. I did this with my Highlander in the past.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for this! I have a full size spare being put on a wheel right now on my XLE Premium. Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail in the factory size.

I hope it fits as well.

So I finally got around to taking off one of my 235/55R19 and putting it in the trunk. Note this is a XLE Premium. I presume all ICE powered units are the same however.

This in theory is a 29.2 inch diameter tire with 9.3 inch width. Here it is, with the Styrofoam and little black block removed. The cover is definitely resting on the tire, but it holds it up maybe 1/8 and inch at best. I don't think its lifted enough to cause me any issues, however if your looking for no cover lift at all, stay below 9 inch width and it shouldn't' be an issue.

View attachment 146869 View attachment 146870 View attachment 146871 View attachment 146872

61 - 80 of 82 Posts