Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
For the last 11 years, I've been driving without a spare tire. The cars I had came with first-gen run flats. They had the horrible effect of tramlining (tending to ride in highway ruts, no matter how shallow). I got rid of them and just used regular tires, keeping a compressor in the trunk. However, my last car had a real TPMS that actually gave you the pressure of each tire in real-time.

IMHO, unless you're driving off-road, spare tires are unnecessary 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
For the last 11 years, I've been driving without a spare tire. The cars I had came with first-gen run flats. They had the horrible effect of tramlining (tending to ride in highway ruts, no matter how shallow). I got rid of them and just used regular tires, keeping a compressor in the trunk. However, my last car had a real TPMS that actually gave you the pressure of each tire in real-time.

IMHO, unless you're driving off-road, spare tires are unnecessary 99.9% of the time.
Well I couldn't disagree more. I have had flat tires several times over the years far from home, and with a full size spare I simply installed it and went on my way, vs having to waste time looking around for a tire shop and waiting around for them to fix it, etc. However to each their own.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I see no problem using a smaller spare. I’m not out in the boondocks and if I was and really had to, I’d just use a Slime plug repair kit as I’ve had good luck with them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I see no problem using a smaller spare. I’m not out in the boondocks and if I was and really had to, I’d just use a Slime plug repair kit as I’ve had good luck with them.
The smaller tire wouldn't bother me - however my Toyota temp spare was actually taller. The issue is the temporary spares have a max speed limit of 50mph, and a very limited life. So if I am travelling far from home and get a flat - now what - take all the back roads home - or get my tire fixed are my only options. Or, I am out of town on business, which I am frequently, and my daughter or wife get a flat? This way, they can simply have AAA put on the spare and leave it until I return - they have no issue driving anywhere they want.

I also carry a plug kit, and they do work well if you know how to use them. 90% of flats are nails in my experience, so a plug works pretty good.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The smaller tire wouldn't bother me - however my Toyota temp spare was actually taller. The issue is the temporary spares have a max speed limit of 50mph, and a very limited life. So if I am travelling far from home and get a flat - now what - take all the back roads home - or get my tire fixed are my only options. Or, I am out of town on business, which I am frequently, and my daughter or wife get a flat? This way, they can simply have AAA put on the spare and leave it until I return - they have no issue driving anywhere they want.

I also carry a plug kit, and they do work well if you know how to use them. 90% of flats are nails in my experience, so a plug works pretty good.
My approach has always been that you use the stock smaller spare to get you to a place to get the regular tire fixed. I guess a regular sized spare would be great if it would fit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I haven't changed a flat in over 20 years. My 12V compressor always manages to fix the slow leak sufficiently to get me to a tire repair mechanic.

Works for me.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts