Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm about to purchase a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid. My current car, 1996 Subaru Legacy, came with 14" wheels. I swapped them out for 16" and could no longer use the donut spare that came with the car. I purchased a full-sized spare but so far haven't had to use it. For Subarus, all tires must be within 1/4" of each other or else you get drivetrain wear. Is this same case with the Rav4? If so, how would one rotate the tires using a full-sized spare to keep all the tires wearing equally?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm about to purchase a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid. My current car, 1996 Subaru Legacy, came with 14" wheels. I swapped them out for 16" and could no longer use the donut spare that came with the car. I purchased a full-sized spare but so far haven't had to use it. For Subarus, all tires must be within 1/4" of each other or else you get drivetrain wear. Is this same case with the Rav4? If so, how would one rotate the tires using a full-sized spare to keep all the tires wearing equally?
I've just put a fullsize 18" spare in the wheel well. All 5 tyres are matching so my plan was to rotate the road going tyres as required and when it's time for new tyres the spare becomes one of the new tyres and the best of the worn tyres becomes the spare. Have done this previously on a 2005 Rav4 and it worked out ok.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts