Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3000 miles on my new RAV4 hybrid. Tire just lost all pressure immediately and started making flapping sound. Thankfully right in front of my exit off the interstate. Was able to pull through the toll booth and into the commuter parking lot.

Had plenty of help. One fellow loosened the lug nuts while he was waiting for his ride. Then friends came with a proper jack (easier to use than the little thing that comes with the RAV4). Got the tire changed. The toll booth people apparently called the interstate and they sent a small van to check on us as well.

Called my dealer (have barely had the car just over a month) and my salesperson was busy, so spoke with someone else who basically said unless I purchased the extra warranty I had no coverage on tires and I was on my own. I called back and left a message for my salesperson. Then called again later and got him on the phone. He said of course the tire would be replaced at no charge (there is no nail; the side wall of the tire just collapsed). I will take it to my local dealer tomorrow to try to sort this out (my dealer is an hour away and I don't want to drive the spare for an hour on the interstate).

Question: What are the limitations on the spare? Speed? Distance?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is covered quite extensively in the manual - the speed limit of 50 mph is described on page 574 of the pdf manual.

3000 miles on my new RAV4 hybrid. Tire just lost all pressure immediately and started making flapping sound. Thankfully right in front of my exit off the interstate. Was able to pull through the toll booth and into the commuter parking lot.

Had plenty of help. One fellow loosened the lug nuts while he was waiting for his ride. Then friends came with a proper jack (easier to use than the little thing that comes with the RAV4). Got the tire changed. The toll booth people apparently called the interstate and they sent a small van to check on us as well.

Called my dealer (have barely had the car just over a month) and my salesperson was busy, so spoke with someone else who basically said unless I purchased the extra warranty I had no coverage on tires and I was on my own. I called back and left a message for my salesperson. Then called again later and got him on the phone. He said of course the tire would be replaced at no charge (there is no nail; the side wall of the tire just collapsed). I will take it to my local dealer tomorrow to try to sort this out (my dealer is an hour away and I don't want to drive the spare for an hour on the interstate).

Question: What are the limitations on the spare? Speed? Distance?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about your hassles op. Do you have the ecopia tires?
No. Yokohama Geo Outlander tires.

Spent 3 hours on the phone with several different dealers. No one has the tires readily available and can't replace the tire until next week. Of course I understand my flat tire is not their fault, but it would be nice to get consistent information (different information from different people at the same dealer). Because I bought my Rav4 from a dealer about an hour from here, the salesperson said I should call Toyota Roadside Assistance and have it towed to their dealership. Roadside Assistance will tow only to the nearest dealer.

I ended up calling Yokohama who gave me a case number. I went to Tire Barn. At first they said they could not get the tire; it was OEM. But the salesperson dug around a bit and located one. The tire was probably damaged from construction debris (the interstate is a mess); probably a shard of cement pierced the side of the tire. Any way they can get the tire tomorrow and will replace it at no charge. I can't complain.

I just wish I could have gotten better and more consistent information from the dealership. It's true the sale was made and they are not obligated. But that didn't stop them, at the time of sale, to try to coach my responses for a survey they said I would receive. Told me I should rate them as "excellent". How about just doing an excellent job. (I never did receive a survey, so it's moot.)

Such is life.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,096 Posts
The Yoko OEM tires are pretty much crap, as you have just learned. But the Toyota documentation makes it pretty clear that Toyota is not responsible for tires. In any case, take this as an invitation to buy a good set of tires ASAP. I threw them away with about 500 miles on them and haven't regretted it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
FYI, I have been absolutely LOVING the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires I put on last spring. Amazingly quiet, and excellent in the rain.

No idea how they'll do in the snow, but I have Nokian Haakapelliita R2 SUV tires for that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus on my new RAV4. Anyone know the quality of these tires and what can be expected of them?

·
Registered
85 Posts
There seem to be three brands showing up on new 18" RAV4's, listed from the worst observed quality to the least worst (with UTQG ratings in parens): Yokohama Geolander's (280BA), Toyo A20's (300AA) and Bridgestone Ecotopia's (?? - the aftermarket version of this tire is 600AA - see comments below on aftermarket vs OEM). (UTQG ratings taken from tirerack.com - higher values tend to indicate tires that last longer.)

My RAV4 has the Yokohama's, and my wife has the Toyo's on hers. I had similar Toyo's on my previous car (Mazda CX-5 with Toyo A23's) and they lasted only about 2 years (< 25k miles) to the tread wear indicator. (The irony with the Toyo's is that if you try to purchase them aftermarket, they are extremely expensive compared to much better tires.)

The tires that OEM's put on cars are, in cases, different from the same brand/model if you purchase aftermarket. (I've only ever seen evidence for this on the Bridgestone's.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately I can't afford new tires after just having bought the car (unexpected expense after my Prius was totaled). I need get whatever I can out of the Yokohamas.

In with the tools for changing tires is a thing that looks like a giant black eye-screw. Can't find a reference to it in the manual. What is it? It isn't used to change the tire - it's not shown in any of the illustrations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In with the tools for changing tires is a thing that looks like a giant black eye-screw. Can't find a reference to it in the manual. What is it? It isn't used to change the tire - it's not shown in any of the illustrations.
That's a tow hook....

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts

The tow eyelet is covered in the steps to take in an emergency section of the manual, it's on page 530 of the .pdf manual, not sure if it's on the same page in the hard copy, I haven't looked at it for months, the .pdf version is so much easier to use.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tow eyelet is covered in the steps to take in an emergency section of the manual, it's on page 530 of the .pdf manual, not sure if it's on the same page in the hard copy, I haven't looked at it for months, the .pdf version is so much easier to use.
Ah. I see. Except the illustration shows spots in TWO places, and there is only ONE of the tow hooks. I'm hoping I don't ever need to use it, but would like to understand how it works. The illustrations show the tow hook being attached in the front on the driver's side. What does one do, then with the spot on the passenger side?

I downloaded the manual in PDF format - thank you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the tire replaced today, so am back on the road. I don't quite understand how the tire got damaged on the side. It almost looks like a knife was stuck in, except that it happened on the highway (and I had been driving for an hour or more). The tire was discolored light gray around the "cut" - which is why the tire place thought it might be from construction debris (a shard of cement?).

Any way, all is well. And the dealer never did call me back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got the tire replaced today, so am back on the road. I don't quite understand how the tire got damaged on the side. It almost looks like a knife was stuck in, except that it happened on the highway (and I had been driving for an hour or more). The tire was discolored light gray around the "cut" - which is why the tire place thought it might be from construction debris (a shard of cement?).

Any way, all is well. And the dealer never did call me back.

Michelin tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Ah. I see. Except the illustration shows spots in TWO places, and there is only ONE of the tow hooks. I'm hoping I don't ever need to use it, but would like to understand how it works. The illustrations show the tow hook being attached in the front on the driver's side. What does one do, then with the spot on the passenger side?
You should use whichever tow hook location is best, depending on which side of the car is in the ditch. :) Never use 2 tow hooks at the same time, or you could damage the bumper.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts

Many here use two tow eyelets for tie down points for rooftop kayaks/canoes, an extra eyelet can be had online for about $25-$30 +shpg.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts