some underthe car
he check all these place and didnt find place to mount spare car
ps
he bought car in used
not new

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some RAV4s did not come with spare tires. Instead they came with run flat tires from the factory. Sounds like your friend has a model like that.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, some European 4.3 RAV4s also did not come with a spare tire, and instead of runflats came with regular tires and only a can of "fix-a-flat," which is pretty stinkin' lame if you ask me.

But it does sound like in this case the runflat "solution" was implemented.

Reactions: profkefah

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, some European 4.3 RAV4s also did not come with a spare tire, and instead of runflats came with regular tires and only a can of "fix-a-flat," which is pretty stinkin' lame if you ask me.
OK, here's the story: When the 4.3 first came out in the UK, they had the spare tyre on the back door just like here. However, there is a law in the UK that says the back door cannot block either of the tail lights when opened. To solve this, Toyota put a short check strap on the back door that only let it open about 45 degrees. There is a detent in our check strap at this very spot if you want to test it. This proved very unpopular, so they did a "facelift" a couple of years later, they removed the spare, installed Michelin PAX run flat tyres and included a plug kit and compressor, or a can of fix-a-flat. Many owners of the older model installed the longer check straps from the newer models to get around this. I doubt the law is strictly enforced.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hey JuneBug.

I was aware of the UK law and the short check strap situation, but was not aware that the tires put on once they removed the spare from the door were actually runflat tires.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts