Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice that their sport spare wheel cover is excessively holding water. I am thinking of drilling holes in the bottom for a drain. anyone tried this? Its a PITA to get back on.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
snowdreams1080 said:
Anyone else notice that their sport spare wheel cover is excessively holding water. I am thinking of drilling holes in the bottom for a drain. anyone tried this? Its a PITA to get back on.
It appears I have the same problem. After a car wash and a wipe down, the next day I always notice where water dripped from the spare and spotted my rear bumprt cover. After wiping dry again, it spots the rear bumper again for a few more days.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Humm. The sport and base don't have a completely solid cover like the limited ... right. There's some vinyl/elastic boot that's part of your cover. The cover on the limited is easy to remove and install .. don't know about holding water though. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Limited does it too. After washing I get spots on my bumper for a couple of days. If I don;t drive the car, no spots but once it gets to jiggling and swaying, viola! Spots! :p

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts
Mine did it too, I drilled several ¼" holes in the very bottom to let it drain quick and not keep dripping. There was a definite stain where the water had pooled, so there was no doubt where the holes need to be, they're right adjacent to the seam in the vinyl part.

Tim

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS, thats what I wanted to hear. going to bust the drill out this weekend.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
snowdreams1080 said:
THANKS, thats what I wanted to hear. going to bust the drill out this weekend.
Same here. What timing, I just bought a cordless drill at Harbor Freight for $10. from the clearence table. I would drill the holes tomorrow but I will be at the NASCAR race in the Poconos.

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts
Be sure to use a wood backup when drilliing and be prepared for the drill to pull real hard when it starts to break thru, the cover is real thin and I think it would be easy to break it. Also, use a towel or something soft on the cover to prevent scratching the finish while you're working on it.

Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as not scratching it, some masking tape works well. Just put it on before you start drilling, and as someone else already mentioned, make sure you have something backing it up so you don't smash through the other side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts