Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to mount a ski-rack on the wheel, can anybody suggest a brand/source?
Thank you,
T

·
Registered
881 Posts
Tanto said:
I'd like to mount a ski-rack on the wheel, can anybody suggest a brand/source?
Thank you,
T
The only one I can think of is from Swagman. It's really expensive way to go because you need to buy a bike rack to mount it on in the first place. http://www.swagman.net/detail.php?i=4&id=64500

If you already have a bike rack for the tire than chances are this will fit it it because those bars on top mimick the frame of two bikes.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen one on a car passing by, the rack was flat and apparently fixed to the bolts holding the wheel, and holding four skis. I was hoping someone knew it...

·
Registered
881 Posts
Tanto said:
I have seen one on a car passing by, the rack was flat and apparently fixed to the bolts holding the wheel, and holding four skis. I was hoping someone knew it...
There used to be a generic brand rack available that looked like this
http://images.autoanything.com/imag...ki_racks/osi_spare_tire_mount_3_bike_rack.jpg

except that the bike holding plates were not welded on, they were held by two U-bolts. You could loosen them and rotate the plates 90 degrees in order to carry skis or snowboards. I haven't see it for sale in a while, one brand I remember is "Radical" racks.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Italy we need the rack to be flat on the tire, because of our laws, it cannot protrude backwards like that.
Nonetheless that is the concept I was looking for.
Thank you,
T

·
Registered
881 Posts
Tanto said:
In Italy we need the rack to be flat on the tire, because of our laws, it cannot protrude backwards like that.
Nonetheless that is the concept I was looking for.
Thank you,
T
In that case really all you need is a plate or "X" made from tubing behind the wheel, one or two long 1/2" bolts, and a couple of metal or plastic plates about 2 feet wide to sandwich the skis between. If you can find knobs to thread on the end of the bolts that would be best but wing nuts will also do.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tanto,

Thule actually has a terrific setup for that. Personally, if you have a hithc mount, I would reccommend that instead. Anyways, for the Thule, you buy a bike rack, then get the adapter for the rack. All in all the system will run about 300. Its tough as all heck though. And fully locked down. I was able to stuff 1 snowboard and 3 pairs of skis in there pretty easily. Prolly coulda got two more skis in there.

However, now taht I read your last post, it may not fit into your laws. Why not put on a roof rack? And I highly reccommend getting a thule or Yakima rack taht fully locks down. It at least keeps the small time theifs away from your gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts