Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting horrible gas mileage. I know it's winter, but my 2007 AWD I4 was getting 14mpg. (Last November it got 25mpg) I thought it might be the carbon vapor canister because I thought I had smelled raw fuel a few times. I took it a mechanic, then to Toyota for a full diagnostic. I'm afraid they just read the computer, because I had to request they visually inspect the plugs. Doing so, they found the original plugs still in use. (at 130k miles)

I still feel like there's something wrong, but I'm just going to install new plugs anyway. But I'm not clear which ones to get. It seems several here recommend the Denso (3421) SK20HR11 Iridium. It's an expensive plug, and the Amazon site tells me it doesn't fit my RAV4. Why would it say that unless it really wasn't advisable? You would think Amazon would want to default to "yes" when in doubt.

I see other folks talking about the BOSCH # 4501 Fusion Platinum Plus Iridium. This is cheaper and has a higher rating.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
According to the owners manual the Denso SK20HR11 is the correct plug. There were actually 2 owners manuals available for the 2007 RAV4. The 1st was for models made from July 2006 , and the 2nd was for models built after December 2006. The spark plug specs were the same in both manuals.

By the way the difference in price between the two plugs you listed is only $5.89 for the whole set.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would buy the OEM iridium plugs again. What ever was in it.
Don't buy Bosch, they are only recommended for Volkswagen....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great answers. I think I'll take your advice and buy the OEM.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It's SK20R11 not SK20hR11. It's different. You can visit www toyodiy com to get accurate parts number.
Welcome to RAV4World xanujx;

Finally somebody is paying attention. Hope you stay around here to double check my posts in the future.

Although the owners manual said SK20R11, I copied and pasted the OPs original post without noticing the difference.

Yes the proper Amazon link is here.. The total cost for a set of four is $26.49 and Amazon confirms they are compatible with the 2007 RAV4 I4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts