Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen in many engines using aluminium heads that if the original plugs are left in for a long time that when they are removed for the first time they are usually so tight that they can end up broken trying to remove them. Because of this I usually put a bit of engine oil on the threads each time they are removed which makes them glide in and out.

I have a 2002 and done 60000Km and have never looked at the plugs as they are supposed to last for 100000Km. Has anyone had their original plugs removed yet or knows if they will come free easily.

BrianJ

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
seized spark plugs

I gather no one has heard of or had this problem of seized spark plugs with a RAV4. Looks like I have nothing to worry about.

Brian

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian, well ve personally not had this problem. IF you use a torque wrench and tighten the spark plugs correctly then I dont see any reason why they should sieze up.

I personally dont have a torque wrench but I do what most others do and that is to tighten the plugs in till they are "tight" and then back up 1/4 turn in the opposite direction.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
factory tightening

I don't have any problem myself once they have been replaced once, but its a bit like removing the first oil filter from a new engine, you almost have to tear it to pieces to get it to move.

And considering that 100000km is the longest time I have ever run a new engine without having to replace the plugs, there is every chance that with the original excessive tightening from the factory plus corrosion and carbon, that I wonder whether I would be better off taking them out earlier and oiling the threads, without replacing them with new ones.

But as I havn't heard any horror stories on this matter yet, I won't worry.

Brian

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i personally try to take the plugs out every 10,000KM to make sure that they are in good order and are firing properly :D YOu can tell a lot about the engine from the condition of the plugs 8)

Anyways, like you suggested this is obviously not a problem.

I am told by my mechanic though that you need to be careful if the plugs do sieze up (my old car had a siezed plug). I dont know how he managed to unsieze it, but he did explain to me that excess force on the plug could damage the block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts