Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone... please can anyone advise re where I can get a speaker for my beloved Rav4... I've found a local garage who will fit it but I cant for the life of me locate one to buy online!
Its the front passenger door speaker that I need
TIA :)

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
There are big online sellers in the US such as Crutchfield and Sonicelectronix. Try Ebay also once you know which speakers to buy. The first two mentioned have reviews on speakers so compare them first. Some brands I like are Polk Audio, Alpine, and JBL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried Crutchfield - they haven't anything in stock now.... I'll try the other thank you :)
None at all on Ebay for an S reg...
TBH I dont care what brand it is.... its the original stereo (with tape!) so I'm not exactly expecting much !

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
Moved to the 4.1 forum for more responses

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.... many calls and much research later it seems that Autosounds (theres one nearish to me in Newcastle) can source and fit something suitable....(Toyota no longer stock the speaker/s).... hurrah!

·
Registered
1994, RAV4, XA10
11 Posts
I will guess most salvage yards that have a RAV4 can find you one. In Denmark they are not listed but they must have them.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,014 Posts

·
Super Moderator
769 Posts
You don't have to buy "specialized" Toyota speakers (they are greatly under-performing anyway). You only need to know the diameter of your original speakers and their depth.
The depth is important in order for the magnet in the back of the speaker to clear the inside of the door.
The diameter is another story... There were two standard sizes for the Rav4 front speakers: 6.5 inch (part number 86160-42020) and 4.75 inch (part number 86160-42010). You can easily check the correct measurements yourself if you are willing to remove the door panel (it's extremely easy, so even if you have no experience at all, don't feel daunted by the task).
Check these links for inspiration:
barovelli.com - Replacing Rav4 front speakers [he already had a 6.5" speaker from factory there]
Tom Fisher: RAV4 Sound System Replacement - Part 2 of 3
1996 Rav4 Mark 1 Front Speaker Installation - Netherlands - speakerinstallationphotos [he replaced a 4.75 inch speaker (pic 5) with a 6.5" one (pic 9) using adapter plates]
Speaker help

Even if you have the smaller speakers in place, but wish to upgrade to the bigger ones, there are speaker mounting adapter plates that will allow a 6.5" or even a 6.75" speaker to fit. I used the "SAK034" adapters in my Rav4.
Check these links for the modifications needed for this to work:
Front speakers and rain
Front speaker replacement for a 1996 RAV4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts