Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2010 base model and the speaker quality is pretty poor, is that just the nature of the speakers that come with the car or is there a good chance they're blown? The sound is super tin-can like and I've had to turn the treble down to make it bearable.

I did a little research on Crutchfield and it looks like in the front the tweeter and woofer are separated, with the woofer by your feet and the tweeter as a small speaker up about steering wheel height. Is there a way to recombine the two and place that speaker by my feet and just ignore the space by the steering wheel or do I need to get replacements for each?

Any insight anyone has would be awesome.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You should replace the headunit first. That in itself will give you better sound quality. Then if you want more then go with speakers. Some replace the lower woofer with coaxial (2way) and leave the tweeter alone or they disconnect the tweeter.
For better sound, get component 6.5" up front. Then coaxial 6.5 for the rear. Add an amp and you will get much much better sound.
But i would start with the radio first. Sometime that is enough. The oem speakers are decent enough with an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
The factory speakers are very weak indeed. Just replace them with better speakers. Also upgrading the radio that has a built in amp will give more power to drive the speaker. The factory speaker are 6 1/2 inches which is a woofer. You can get 6 1/2 inch speakers with a tweeter in them to produce more mid range sound. When I upgraded mine I left the factory tweeter there since it was not that powerful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should replace the headunit first. That in itself will give you better sound quality.
I've currently got a pioneer deh-6400bt headunit I pulled from a junk car i bought in highschool. How complicated of a replacement is it and would it be worth it with that old of a headunit? Or should I just buy a new one?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Is there a way to recombine the two and place that speaker by my feet and just ignore the space by the steering wheel
That would be a bad idea. All the modern cars have tweeters at higher level because if you try to play high frequency (short wavelength) sounds from the door, that sound gets attenuated a lot. As opposed to mid-low range (longer wavelength).
That being said, the "tweeters" in the top part of the panel are pretty cheap. I have the Limited with JBL audio and I still replaced those with something better.

BTW, the way the wiring goes, the small speakers (tweeters) have actually 4 wires, two incoming from the radio and the other two going to the lower speaker. So if you disconnect them, you loose sound to the bottom speaker too.

Dash trim for the RAV4 radio: Metra Part # 99-8217 | Toyota Rav4 Dash kit | Metra Online.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I've currently got a pioneer deh-6400bt headunit I pulled from a junk car i bought in highschool. How complicated of a replacement is it and would it be worth it with that old of a headunit? Or should I just buy a new one?
The radio is easy to install. You need a dash trim that fit that unit since the space is for a double din radio. Also need a wiring harness to connect the Pioneer to the factory wiring.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Since you already have a pioneer headunit on hand, just install that. You'll notice right away the in sound quality. Clearer sounds.
You will need a dash kit, scosche or metra kit. Find one that fit your budget.
Harness you can order online or go to your local walmart and pick up one from scosche.
Match color for color from your pioneer unit to your scosche harness. Solder and heat shrink.
Pretty simple install.
Watch this video. Do the same to yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts