Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after playing with my new nav unit for a while, I discovered that the nav voice bypasses the tone controls in the amp. This produces a muffled voice output that is actually hard to understand while driving, particularly at low volumes.

Soooo, my next option is to replace the front door speakers.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm not looking to rattle the windows, just get some more clarity out of the system at about 5K Hz I think.

------------------------------

Never mind.. i just ordered a set of Kicker DS65.2's

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Give this a try:

Car Selector

Yup, been there. thanks!

My question was actually regarding sound quality vs whether they will fit or not. I can guess at that, and make adapters if needed.

As I posted in the starter post in this thread, I ordered a set of Kickers. They should be here tomorrow. If the weather is nice, I can install them Saturday.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went with the Kenwood excelon series with a 4-channel amp.
it worked well for me.

best speaker I would recommend is Rainbow, downside is it's very hard to find a retailer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
what's your budget?

i put these in the front doors-

and these in the rears-

they are known for clarity and I can testify that they are amazing. i went through multiple speakers in my '11 sport until i was happy and these did the trick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Avanti, They Both comes with crossover and tweeters, so to my understanding u install crossover on front doors with 165 v30, But Rear door , did u put crossover and tweeter also? or u just installed woofer only...Coz 165 vb comes with xover and tweets

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had Polk 6500s installed in the front doors of my 2001, because I was blown away by how good they sound in my '03 Sequoia with the factory JBL audio system. I was disappointed by the sound - I got none of the clear, robust bass that I got in the Sequoia. After spending some time at Rav4World I replaced the Rav4 head unit with a Scion Pioneer head. It sounds better, but still not nearly as good as the Sequoia. Would the JBL head / in-line amps make that much of a difference? Might the "big box" installer have swapped out my 6500 midrange/woofers for cheaper units? Could the Sequoia doors and cabin just make for better sound?

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited
1 Posts
JBL Stadium GTO750T from crutchfield. A year ago I purchased a used 2010 Rav4 Limited with 6 speaker JBL system, without NAV unit. The tweeters were the real problem. They were obviously tired. Very tinny and screechy. I replaced them with JBL Stadium GTO750T. What an amazing difference. These worked better than I could have expected. Extremely clear and loud. I have to turn the treble down to -3. I will have to post some pictures of how I installed them later. Working toward another speaker install this summer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
JBL Stadium GTO750T
I did consider those, but the extension in midrange was poor. The JBL system "splits" the frequencies at around 550-650Hz and sends the high portion into the "tweeters". Small tweeters will not handle those properly IMO. That's why Toyota used those 2" there, but those are horrible at high range.

I went with the JBL GTO329 (3.5" dual speakers) and make new brackets so they will seal against the door panels: 2011 RAV4 Limited - SoNic67's Journal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts