Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are several threads about this (especially during the production years), but sometimes recommendations change!

I have a 2012 RAV4 Limited with the Entune head unit. I'm not sure how much juice that puts out compared to the Base unit, but overall it sounds pretty bad. I think the design decision to put speakers in the doors instead of the dash is partially responsible, so I hope better speakers will partially make up for that.

Can anyone recommend some specific speaker upgrades (part#'s etc) that I could do a direct 1:1 swap and gain improved sound? I'd like drivers with a similar efficiency so I don't need to bother adding an amplifier, changing wire gauge, etc.

If it matters, I prefer a clean neutral sound. Not looking for artificially enhanced boomy bass.

I'll be paying professionals to install it for me, but I don't want to go with whatever the car audio shop has in stock, as I imagine their recommendations may not necessarily be in my best interest.

Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
[FONT=&quot]Everyone has different tastes in the sound they like. I recommend that you go somewhere to listen to the speakers that you are considering and preferably listen to them hooked up to the head unit that you intend to use.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We were looking for better sound in our 2012 Rav4 Limited, so our stereo project started off with just a purchase of a cheap set of speakers. We stopped by Best Buy to listen to speakers and liked the Pioneer TS-A1685R best as they seemed to have the most detail in the sound.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Before we had them installed, I saw the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on sale for over 30% off and decided to upgrade our factory nav unit as well. And once we had the new head unit, we couldn’t stop there, we had to keep going with sound dampening material. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I purchased most of the stuff needed and had a local car audio shop (Wyvon Audio Installations) do the installation for us. Wyvon did a great job, if anyone is in the York, PA area, I highly recommend him.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here are the speakers that what we used:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pioneer TS-A1605C (speakers in front doors)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pioneer TS-A1685R (speakers in rear doors)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Since we changed the head unit and added sound dampening at the same time, we cannot rate the speakers on their own, but we are very happy with our new setup. It sounds way better than the factory system and better than the factory JBL in our 2007 Rav4 Limited.[/FONT]

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The stock head units are crap...I replaced my deck and have not bothered to swap out the speakers yet...replacing the speakers and expecting an improvement in sound quality is like adding a Folgers can to the exhaust and expecting a performance increase....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the Nav unit, so I'd hate to waste that. Is there something can you recommend that is comparable yet compatible with the aux/usb jacks and steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having just swapped out the factory speakers in my 2011 Limited, I would have to say that just about anything would be an improvement. I've done a number of car audio upgrades over the years, and I'd have to say the RAV4 has some of the nastiest looking speakers I've seen. Just be aware that it isn't a "straight swap" as the factory speakers aren't a standard mount. Rather than using a standard round speaker in a shaped mount, Toyota have chosen to make the speaker and mount all one piece. Which means you need to do 1 of 3 things - 1. Buy a mount adapter, 2. Fabricate a mount adapter, or 3. (not for the faint hearted) Cut the existing speaker cone and plastic webs out of the existing speaker and use it as a mount.

The first option wasn't for me - the only adapters I could get locally cost more than the speakers! I wasn't sure until I took the first one out which way I was going to go, but in the end I cut up the existing speakers and used them as mounts - worked well for me because the speakers I bought were a 6" (suitable for 6" or 6.5" mount), so with a little bit of minor modification around the edge of the new speaker I was able to reinstall a foam strip around the edge and they fit nicely.

Still deciding what to do with the head unit (I'd like one with nav but that might be stretching the budget), but new speakers have definately made a difference. The New Zealand models have a different factory head unit than the US model, so maybe it isn't quite as crap :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I bought the Nav unit, so I'd hate to waste that. Is there something can you recommend that is comparable yet compatible with the aux/usb jacks and steering wheel controls?
If you're really looking for great sound then the stock head unit will not cut it...I replaced my stock head unit with a $350 JVC unit that sounds ten times better than the stock one even with stock speakers...it plays DVDs and has Bluetooth that works great...it also mirrors my cellphone so that if I need GPS I can see that right on the stereo screen...it works nice with Waze as well...I may upgrade to a better unit in the future but will not spend the crazy money on a nav since I don't use that feature often...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first option wasn't for me - the only adapters I could get locally cost more than the speakers!
I wonder if USA pricing would make that more palatable. I'd rather use a cleaner method if possible. What do I look for?

If you're really looking for great sound then the stock head unit will not cut it...I replaced my stock head unit with a $350 JVC unit that sounds ten times better than the stock one even with stock speakers...it plays DVDs and has Bluetooth that works great...it also mirrors my cellphone so that if I need GPS I can see that right on the stereo screen...it works nice with Waze as well...I may upgrade to a better unit in the future but will not spend the crazy money on a nav since I don't use that feature often...
As long as all the controls in the car (steering wheel) continue to work, I'm not averse to changing the head unit too.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Here are the stock speakers. They are riveted in and must be drilled out. They are an odd size, 5 1/4" I think.

This what I replaced them with including the front tweeters and additional tweeters in the rear doors. The larger speakers are 6.5" and mounting adapters were made from plywood.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I wonder if USA pricing would make that more palatable. I'd rather use a cleaner method if possible. What do I look for?

As long as all the controls in the car (steering wheel) continue to work, I'm not averse to changing the head unit too.
yeah you can keep steering wheel controls...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I visited a local car audio shop and he knew right away what I needed for my 2012 RAV4, mentioning the adapters, the peculiarities of the stock speakers and all the other tidbits I've read here and in other threads. So I've got some confidence that I don't have to spell out all the pieces he will need. Now its just a matter of what I want to spend.

The latest & greatest HU from Kenwood with Nav and everything is in the $800 range. Speakers, adapters and labor pushes it well into around $1400+. Yowwch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm always considering an update, but not necessary as I tend to prefer annoying my passengers with my screeching cat-like harmonizing vocal cords.

Use of Google maps over the factory stuff is a definite plus though. Current controls are quite terrible. Also do not like how the current system sorts music. I prefer my songs to be sorted by file name, but the unit sorts by id3 song name. Didn't they realize how many songs have the same title?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just picked up a 12' limited myself and have the entune stereo. For lack of a better description the stock sound from this head unit and speakers is crap. I am looking at two options...

1. Adding a concealed amp or better amp to the factory system. If anyone has experience in this department please comment. I will be vetting my go-to crutchfield tech to see if it is possible without getting feedback noise.
2. Ditch the entune completely and add a double-din with apple car play/android auto. This is a great economic way to keep your nav and you can use your phone's nav displayed on the screen. Apple car play just added waze and google maps support. Did this on my T4R. Sony makes a great new unit for this application.

Regardless of option 1 or 2 I'll be putting in JL Audio speakers. I have put JL in every car I've owned and can honestly say once you experience the quality it is hard to go back to another brand. I would recommend JL to anyone looking for an upgrade. Just keep in mind depending on sizes you may be looking at a custom mount job. Salvaging the metal frame from the existing speakers and self tapping the new speaker frame to it has worked for me in the past.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Setback... I have not discovered a way to maintain the factory bluetooth mic and usb/aux ports with an aftermarket stereo. If anyone has been able to figure this out please let me know. Also been struggling to find a clean install for the double din replacement trim piece. Any pictures of clean install with part # for the trim piece would be great.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Setback... I have not discovered a way to maintain the factory bluetooth mic and usb/aux ports with an aftermarket stereo. If anyone has been able to figure this out please let me know. Also been struggling to find a clean install for the double din replacement trim piece. Any pictures of clean install with part # for the trim piece would be great.

If you want an OEM look you need one of those radios that have the trim piece part of the radio which are mostly those Asian radios. You won't get a factory look with any added trim piece with a double din radio.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want an OEM look you need one of those radios that have the trim piece part of the radio which are mostly those Asian radios. You won't get a factory look with any added trim piece with a double din radio.

I'm not sure if I have the heart to get rid of the factory look. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find a clean install. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the Entune and finding replacement speakers with better sound quality... Some soul searching and maybe I'll add a sub in the trunk and throw a HPF on the 4 speakers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts