Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. This is actually my first ever post here on this forum so sorry if I bring up a thread that's already been discussed.
  1. The other day, I went to startup my car and when I turned the ignition to the "On" position the speakers made this super loud static noise. It was ear piercing. I also seemed to hear the voice of a woman saying something, but I couldn't make out what it said. When i checked, the radio was off. I tried turning it on and off and nothing happened. Turning the volume knob didn't do anything. The noise only stopped when I took the key out of the ignition. I was scared. When I put the key back in to start the car, the radio would turn on but no sound would come from the speakers. Even the plugging in the aux wouldn't do anything. I decided to ignore the problem and leave the radio off. After driving for about 5 miles the same thing happened again; loud screeching noise that i had no control of until i pulled over and turned the car off (key out of ignition). After this, I started the car, turned the radio on and it worked just fine. The sound was back on and everything seemed back to normal, however, the next day it did the same screeching noise again. I truly have no idea why this could happen. I have no aftermarket sound system or light bars or anything that could mess up the electronics. For the record, my car is a 2006 Rav4 Sport 2wd equipped the the OEM JBL sound system. Lately, it has been raining a lot; much more than this car has ever experienced. But it has never been flooded, nor has water leaked into the interior whatsoever. Also, I checked the amp fuse (its a 30) and it's fine. I'm really concerned about this cause it can be a hazard. Maybe it's a short that can start a fire. I don't know. I need help guys. Any info is appreciated. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
You need to take your radio out to see if there is any water leaking. Another possibility is that the radio is going bad.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
Perhaps water is leaking onto the amplifier itself. It's located above your rear passenger side wheel well. You can see it in the photo just in front of the jack.

·
Registered
2006 Rav4 V6 Limited
3 Posts
I have the same exact problem with my vehicle. All was good then one day that loud white noise comes on full volume and won't stop til I shut off the car. I checked everything; radio, amp, wires, speakers and have no idea...

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I have the same exact problem with my vehicle. All was good then one day that loud white noise comes on full volume and won't stop til I shut off the car. I checked everything; radio, amp, wires, speakers and have no idea...
Your amp is going bad. Can get a used one cheap from Ebay.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thought I had read somewhere that radio failures with the 2006 models were quite common, can anyone confirm?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts