Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I could use some help. I have a 2008 Rav4 and I started getting strange noises from the speakers. It sounds like I am intercepting Alien communication from outer space. What's weird is this can happen when the radio is off. Sometimes the radio and speakers work perfectly fine and you wouldn't think anything is wrong. Sometimes the radio is on but no sound. Sometimes radio is on then the screeching starts and sometimes the radio is off and the screeching starts. I started Googling information but haven't come across much to help me. I checked(was good) and replaced anyway what I think to be the radio fuse. Did not help. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas what is causing the issue? The noises are not effected by revving the engine, They are just random. These are the factory installed original speakers and radio. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Both front speakers have the JBL logo on them. The back speakers do not. I would think they all are JBL. The Rav4 is an 2008 that I bought in 2011 so I would think everything is from the factory. I don't think I have an amp. How would I know.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,604 Posts
You have the JBL system. There is an amplifier mounted above your right rear wheel well. That is probably where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pic and info! The noise sounds like it shoots form one speaker to another. So maybe this could mean I need a new amplifier?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I took my amplifier out. Pictures attached. Is there a way to tell if it is bad by looking at it?
amp1.jpg
amp2.jpg

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,604 Posts
I don't see any swollen capacitors or any burnt components. But that doesn't mean anything. I would re-solder all the pins on those connectors just in case one is cracked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking closely and I don't see any cracks. I would have to get a solder. Anything else you think I can try? I was thinking my next step is to take each speaker out and test it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What a coincidence, my dad's 08 Rav4 V6 with JBL also is experiencing the exact same audio issue. I hear screeching and snow sound coming from the front passenger tweeter side. I ordered a pair of tweeter and will replace them to see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi,

I could use some help. I have a 2008 Rav4 and I started getting strange noises from the speakers. It sounds like I am intercepting Alien communication from outer space. What's weird is this can happen when the radio is off. Sometimes the radio and speakers work perfectly fine and you wouldn't think anything is wrong. Sometimes the radio is on but no sound. Sometimes radio is on then the screeching starts and sometimes the radio is off and the screeching starts. I started Googling information but haven't come across much to help me. I checked(was good) and replaced anyway what I think to be the radio fuse. Did not help. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas what is causing the issue? The noises are not effected by revving the engine, They are just random. These are the factory installed original speakers and radio. Any comments would be appreciated.
Have your Battery and all connections checked immediately. When Batteries start to go one of the symptoms is static in the FM and Satellite Channels. This is because the stereo power supply actually uses the Battery as a 1 Farad Capacitor for filtering, which is why car stereo and entertainment systems are so small compare to the home stereos receivers using the 120 VAC. In my 48 years of driving I learned this and never been wrong. Battery Manufacturers only offer an 18 month warranty on batteries, some battery distributers like NAPA offer 5 year warranties, but charge you more the double what they pay the manufacturer. Batteries don't like temperatures under freezing or over 78 degrees Fahrenheit and we all know under the hood is extremely hot in the warmer months and below freezing in the winter months in the North. Check for battery terminal corrosion or loose battery connections at the battery and starter first. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have your Battery and all connections checked immediately. When Batteries start to go one of the symptoms is static in the FM and Satellite Channels. This is because the stereo power supply actually uses the Battery as a 1 Farad Capacitor for filtering, which is why car stereo and entertainment systems are so small compare to the home stereos receivers using the 120 VAC. In my 48 years of driving I learned this and never been wrong. Battery Manufacturers only offer an 18 month warranty on batteries, some battery distributers like NAPA offer 5 year warranties, but charge you more the double what they pay the manufacturer. Batteries don't like temperatures under freezing or over 78 degrees Fahrenheit and we all know under the hood is extremely hot in the warmer months and below freezing in the winter months in the North. Check for battery terminal corrosion or loose battery connections at the battery and starter first. Just my 2 cents worth.
Thank you. My battery is fairly new though and no corrosion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a coincidence, my dad's 08 Rav4 V6 with JBL also is experiencing the exact same audio issue. I hear screeching and snow sound coming from the front passenger tweeter side. I ordered a pair of tweeter and will replace them to see if it makes any difference.
Have you tried this yet? Did it work?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked my speakers and they are all okay. Even thought the amp doesn't look bad I am going to get another one. I can buy a used one for $130 and more from Ebay; however, I called the junk yard and I can get it for $20 if I can find it. Does anyone know what other vehicles came with the JBL amp 86280-0w400 besides my 2008 Rav4 Limited? This would help me with my search.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I checked my speakers and they are all okay. Even thought the amp doesn't look bad I am going to get another one. I can buy a used one for $130 and more from Ebay; however, I called the junk yard and I can get it for $20 if I can find it. Does anyone know what other vehicles came with the JBL amp 86280-0w400 besides my 2008 Rav4 Limited? This would help me with my search.
This amp fits 2006-2012 RAV4 and does not seem to fit any other models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes. But when I was at the junkyard I looked into a 2010 Rav4 and it did not come with this amp. So I believe only some of the Rav4's had this amp others did not. Maybe it's just the Limited Edition? Does anyone know how to determine which Rav4s came with the JBL system?

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
AFAIK only the Limited has the JBL system.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Take a look on the side IC's (picture), that's where the power amps are actually located and what I think it is a power voltage regulator. They are vertical, hold by some brackets for thermal contact (cooling).
In my experience, noise only from two channels means that one of those IC amps is thermally compromised. But check the solder points on their pins, those are high current carrying pins.
They have a thermal paste to help with the contact, that would have to be renewed now that you disassembled it.

PS:
Yes, this JBL amp (and radio head end) is only found on Limited RAV4.
No, tweeters/speakers won't make noise by themselves when there is no music playing. They move only when the amp sends power to them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts