Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting the run-around from Toyota about the Special Service Campaign for Center No. 2 Exhaust Pipe Sub-Assembly (Muffler) failure on RAV4 V6, so am hoping someone has figured out how to solve this. They sent me the Special Service Campaign in Feb 2017 because they acknowledged a design flaw in the muffler for V6 RAVs that would lead to unexpected failure in states with harsh winters (incl Wisconsin). The bulletin said their dealers would replace the muffler for free even if the original warranty had expired, or Toyota would reimburse owners who already paid for it. My muffler failed in December 2016. The dealer wanted $1805.51 to replace it (nuts!) so I took it to a private muffler shop who did it for $373.11. On March 1, I mailed all documents to Toyota for reimbursement, which included a detailed cover letter, Toyota dealer diagnosis of muffler failure, their quote, the receipt from the shop that actually did the work, and vehicle registration. USPS Tracking verified delivery to Toyota, and on March 10 I received an email from Toyota with a case number. I called them May 10 because it was beyond the time they said it would take. They indicated the case was closed for lack of documentation (they said they got my cover letter and vehicle registration but nothing else). If they got those, they got it all but must have thrown the key items away. I then faxed all the documents to the number they provided (fax indicated successful transmission). I called May 12 to verify they got the fax, and they said it was not in the system and claim was still denied. I asked for a supervisor and was told there was none. I asked for another department, including the one they said denied the claim, and they said there was no one else to contact. Anyone else have these problems with them? If so, did you figure out how to get them to stand behind their Special Service Campaigns? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
If Wisconsin has a department which regulates how car manufacturers handle such claims it would be worthwhile to submit your cast to them. Otherwise if there is a small claims court system suing Toyota could result in a favorable judgment. Recall a case in California where a company was sued in small claims court, the judgment was in favor of the plaintiff but the company refused to pay the awarded amount. The plaintiff then obtained a writ from the court which shut down the company's entire operation until they would satisfy the judgment. The company quickly complied.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts