Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the speed sensor on my 99 rav4 Fwd with auto transmission. I can't see the sensor from above, grainy photo in Haynes manual is useless. If I take off the air filter housing do you think I can get to it that way? Please advise. thanks...

Jon

·
Registered
101 Posts
The electronic parts catalog shows the automatic version to be on top of the transmission, pointing down. If you were facing the motor, on the right (car's left) and maybe in front of the left axle. Hard to tell. You'll need to start taking off the air filter stuff until you can see the top of the transaxle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Doc, Seemed like the best thing to remove (air filter and ducts): big view-blocker and fairly easy to do. Looking underneath the vehicle I couldn't find a dam thing. Anyway I'll dig in there this weekend. Hard part is finding the part locally. Maybe because of the age of the vehicle, who knows.

Anyway, thanks again,

Jon

·
Registered
101 Posts
The EPC says that only 2 vehicles have that exact part number, which is 83181-12060. 9201-9506 MR2's with an auto box (rare, I think) and 9602 up RAV4's. It should just be some kind of magnetic sensor, hall effect sensor, etc. Any problem with it is probably a broken wire. Check the resistance between the leads at the plug. If it is open, it's bad. Shave some insulation off one wire closer to the sensor and test between there and both leads at the plug. If one is good an the other is not, the other is your problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'll check the leads before I buy the part, but I think it's the sensor because as soon as the car heats up the speedometer starts working.

Anyway, thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good luck with it. As I think about THAT sensor, I don't think there are leads on it, unlike the crank position sensor I had to deal with on my 3SGTE which did have wires between the actual sensor and the plug. If it doesn't work when cold, then check the resistance between the pins on the sensor plug. You might be able to heat up the pins with a soldering iron and flow some solder in there if that is the loose connection. But, yeah, that does sound like a sensor. $230 at Toyota.
https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-vehicle-speed-sensor-8318112060

Wow. I think I'd try a junk yard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, they are expensive. A local Advance Auto store has one for $136, but they seem to be normally much higher. Again, thanks for all your input.

Jon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts