Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i want to know what color or where i can find the wire for the speed sensor on a 2005 rav4 manual, Does the speed sensor send pulse when the car is moving?

I want to use this signal for a security in a remote car starter, if the cars move (speed sensor send pulses) it will stop the motor immediately

usually i use neutral switch on manual cars for remote starter but there is no such switch on the rav4 :roll:
and i don't want to put a manual remote car starter, i hate those with a procedure that isn't safe at all

or does anyone have electrical plan of the wire that goes to the ECU?

Thanx!

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Carmusic
Here's the info I could find. The speed sense wire should be purple/white. Pin 26 in a 28 pin plug on the back of the fusebox. Can also find the wire at the ECM behind the glove box, second plug from the bottom, pin 17. Make sure you test all of your wires with a DMM.

Just curious. How are you interfacing the speed sense pulses to shut down the remote start? Can the speed signal trigger a relay? It's an interesting idea for shutting down the starter, but won't the car already be moving by the time it shuts down? I've tried many different ways of putting switches or sensors on the stick itself to keep the rem start from engaging, but have run into too many probs anyway. I just stopped doing remote starts on manuals. Good luck.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the speed sensors sends enough pulse the car my move about 2-3 inches and the motor will shutdown by a relay, but i need to make an interface to transform the signal from the vss to trigger a relay (a transistor that latch if it receive pulse to trigger a relay) I,ll make test before i installed the remote starter of course

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just my 2 cents...The speed sense wire seems like a great secondary shutdown; but it would be safer to inhibit the starter some way before it cranks, rather than after it starts to move. Even with the e-brake on, an awd vehicle will still roll if left in gear. I watched an awd Eclipse roll about 4 feet when it remote started in gear even though it had the e-brake on, and the engine had only turned over once or twice before it died on its own.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i agree with you i think i'll try a way to put a neutral switch instead, is it hard by under the car to reach the shifter, ill probably put a proximity sensor that must be activated when the car is in neutral, so it will be fail safe

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The best setup I've used so far is with N.O. magnetic reed switches. I would strap the magnet sides on the stick itself. Then create mounts for the switch sides by the positions where the stick rests when it is in gear. If the stick is in gear, it triggers the mag switch which is then connected to the shutdown wire. It works great. Sometimes it takes a while to get them positioned properly. The only downfall is that sometimes the switches or magnets would shift because of the shifting motion during driving. On my last car that I owned that was a stick with remote start I did this and it always worked great. I would randomly just put my car in the middle of a parking lot and try remote starting it (with me in the car) just to make sure the failsafe was functioning properly. If you have any ?'s about how I set it up let me know.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally i will put a proximity sensor for the neutral switch, it is very easy to do on that car (all of the shfiter arm and pivot are inside the car!! ) I'll just find a use inductive prox on ebay that will then trigger a relay!!
I'll post some pics when i'll install it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts