Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, lately my 1997 rav4 automatic 4dr speedo is taking (like 15 km/h more then what I'm driving) possible repairs?
Thought about getting an obd HUD then realized there is no obd in my car..
I saw on AliExpress adapter from dlc Toyota port to obd ii but will it work? Will it transfer the data the HUD needs?
Any other suggestions will also help.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,064 Posts
It's most likely the sending unit on the transaxle that is failing. Easy replacement.

Reactions: Elle_Rav4

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,064 Posts
Can you help a little more? where do I buy that part? how to replace?
I would suggest getting a good maintenance manual for your RAV4 and searching the forums here for help.

This isn't uncommon for any 20 year old plus vehicle and the following are things it could be:
1 - The wiring
2 - The sending unit, as Toyota calls it, the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). This would be my best guess.
3 - The cluster, note there are more than one instrument clusters for the RAV4.1s and they aren't interchangeable so get the part number off your cluster
4 - The ECU

1. The cheapest and easiest repair is to disconnect the VSS at the transaxle and using plastic friendly electrical connector cleaner, clean the both sides of the connector and then apply dielectric grease. I use dielectric grease on all electrical connectors on my RAV4.

2. The next most likely problem is the VSS, simply remove and replace applying dielectric grease when making the electrical connection. "Part Identification / speed sensor location" Part Identification / speed sensor location Here is a US source and you can see the part: "1996-2000 Toyota RAV4 Speedometer Sensor Replacement" 1996-2000 Toyota RAV4 Speedometer Sensor - Body Electrical - Replacement 96-00 RAV4 Speedometer Sensor - 8191-02431923 - PartsGeek

3. The cluster, as I stated there are at least two different clusters available so if you purchase one make sure it is the right one. You should be able to get the part number off of the one you have, it's on the cluster itself

4. The ECU isn't likely to be an issue but I'm listing because it always could be the problem

As far as troubleshooting goes, disconnect, clean, and apply dielectric grease to all connections
If you had an OBDII complaint vehicle you could simply hook it to a reader and see the speed in real time that is being reported to the cluster. If the speed is the same then it is likely electrical or a bad VSS, if it's accurate but the cluster is off then it's likely the cluster. I'm not sure how to do this with your engine, I would check the output from the VSS at various speeds and compare that to another RAV4.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
5 Common Bad Speed Sensor Symptoms
1. Transmission problems
Vehicle speed information relayed by the VSS is used by the transmission control module (TCM) or powertrain control module (PCM) to determine shift timing. Therefore, a failing speed sensor will have a direct impact on automatic transmission operation.

One of the most common signs of a bad speed sensor is abnormal automatic transmission operation. If the VSS is faulty, the transmission may exhibit symptoms such as delayed shifts, hard shifts, and limited gear operation.

2. Erratic speedometer readings
Many vehicles use the VSS as a primary input for speedometer operation, which means a malfunctioning VSS can cause the speedometer to produce an erratic reading—or no reading at all.

Your vehicle will continue to run without a working speedometer. However, not knowing how fast you’re going will make it difficult to drive safely.

3. Inability to engage cruise control
Typically, your vehicle’s cruise control will automatically be disabled by the PCM as soon as it fails to receive information from the VSS. This is because the system requires the sensor’s data in order to keep your car running at a constant speed.

4. Lack of torque converter clutch application
The torque converter clutch is activated at a pre-programmed speed. Without accurate information from the vehicle speed sensors, the transmission torque converter will be unable to apply the clutch and form a mechanical link between the engine and transmission.

This can cause slipping, reduced fuel economy, and an overheated transmission.

5. Check Engine Light is triggered
Your vehicle’s check engine light can be triggered by the PCM for a myriad of reasons—one of which is a faulty VSS. You’ll need to connect your vehicle to an OBD-II scan tool to confirm whether the error code is pointing to a VSS malfunction.

Other warning lights such as those for the ABS and traction control systems may also appear on the dashboard.

REF: https://www.carparts.com/blog/bad-speed-sensor-symptoms/

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
If it is the cluster you can replace it, again only after confirming the right part number. Or, you can send it off for repair.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Please add a signature block to your profile with your RAV4s information similar to what you see on mine. It's so we can see at a glance your RAV4's specifics.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Can you help a little more? where do I buy that part? how to replace?
Did my posts help at all? A little courtesy would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts
Is it reading zero when stopped? The reason I ask is we had one member whose meter read wrong because the needle had slipped on its shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Did you figure it out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts