Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 Rav4 2wd automatic. I've spend a couple days on and off searching Google for a cause- fix for this with no luck. 96000 miles, everything including tires stock, no recent work performed. The speedometer has always been a little bit off when compared with my GPS but it's been getting noticeably worse. As an example, when I'm doing 40 mph, the speedo will read about 30-32 mph. Last night it was 45 degrees and I had to go to the ATM and the tach was also way off. As the vehicle warmed up the tach started working again but the speedometer was still way off. No noises, tranny is shifting normally, no CEL. Engine is purring like a kitten.
Yesterday I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes and that didn't change anything. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
You may have a speed sensor going out, it is located on the transmission itself and it is a different sensor for FWD and AWD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm thinking also. I haven't been able to find a post anywhere where someone is/was experiencing identical symptoms though. The unit for the 2WD is a lot more expensive, at least aftermarket, than the sensor for the AWD. When and if I find the fix I'll definitely update this thread

Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
I haven't heard of people having trouble with it either, maybe a used one is the best way to go. Hook up an OBDII reader and that should tell you if it is the speedometer or the sensor, if the OBDII reader gives you the same speed as the speedometer, then it is likely the sensor, if the OBDII reader agrees with the GPS it's the speedometer. You can pick up a bluetooth OBDII reader that interfaces with a smartphone pretty cheap.

Reactions: 96 Rav4

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't heard of people having trouble with it either, maybe a used one is the best way to go. Hook up an OBDII reader and that should tell you if it is the speedometer or the sensor, if the OBDII reader gives you the same speed as the speedometer, then it is likely the sensor, if the OBDII reader agrees with the GPS it's the speedometer. You can pick up a bluetooth OBDII reader that interfaces with a smartphone pretty cheap.
That's a great idea. I couldn't figure out a way to diagnose it. I'm going to pick up a bluetooth reader and do it. I'm not a believer in throwing parts at a problem. Too many bad experiences with that. I'll post the outcome after I test it.
Thanks again,
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I didn't mention that it could also be a bad wire/dirty connection. Pull the connector from the speed sensor first, use some electrical connection cleaner, the kind that is friendly to plastic, and clean both sides, put dielectric grease on the contacts and try it. If that doesn't work repeat the procedure at the instrument panel. Check the continuity of the wires as well, you will need a multimeter, digital autoranging is easiest and it doesn't have to be an expensive one. Oh, and try not to poke holes in the wiring insulation unless you use something like liquid tape to seal them up.

Good luck with her.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the same problem with my 97 FWD Automatic! What is strang is that odometer still reading correct miles!

I installed a spare cluster from my parts car 96 AWD manual and it reads perfect MPH, confirming that problem was with the cluster.

The only problem with using AWD cluster is that we get "C-LOCK" light when we switch automatic tranny mode (not a huge deal)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Solved. I connected a Bluetooth OBG11 reader to it and it reads pretty much dead on with my GPS, so it is the actual speedometer that's bad. My odometer is correct also. I just got back from a long highway trip and the mileage was correct. Before I left I knew it was only a bad speedometer which doesn't affect other functions so I was able to relax and enjoy the trip. My trip meter is also broken so I may take it to a speedometer repair shop and get an estimate on repairing both. If not, it's really no big deal as I use the mph reading on my GPS all the time.
Thanks!

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I did a search looking for your issue, an Australian had the same problem, put a new speed sensor in and checked and cleaned connectors, and no joy. He bought a used instrument cluster and problem solved. I tried looking on ebay for someone that might repair one but I had no luck. Try a salvage yard in your area.

Here is a link for a new speedometer head from Toyota - SPEEDOMETER ASSY. METER (SXA1#) for 1996 TOYOTA Rav 4. #8322042010 they are pretty proud of those

Part number info: Speedometer Head - Toyota (83220-42010) 1996 and 1997 use the same separate speedometer head

You may find one here - https://www.seekautoparts.com/

·
Registered
13 Posts
speedometer not reading corectly

Checked on line to fine tire size for 1996 Toyota RAV4 and its 215/70R16 in a box has (995); and can use up to 235/60R16 and i the box (100H). The number in the box have no idea what that means. I have a RAV4 2000 using 235 would go outside but to darn cold. I got picked up for speeding doing 120kmh asked RCMP and what where those 10 vehicles that passed me doing. No reply so drove to city doing 85kmh for another 1.5hours. Was told when I installed ice tires that they where oversized.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
What "box" do you mean?

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Checked on line to fine tire size for 1996 Toyota RAV4 and its 215/70R16 in a box has (995); and can use up to 235/60R16 and i the box (100H). The number in the box have no idea what that means. I have a RAV4 2000 using 235 would go outside but to darn cold. I got picked up for speeding doing 120kmh asked RCMP and what where those 10 vehicles that passed me doing. No reply so drove to city doing 85kmh for another 1.5hours. Was told when I installed ice tires that they where oversized.
You can get a Yellow Box and calibrate your speedometer, see https://www.rav4world.com/forums/84-4-1-accessories/290719-speedometer-recalibration.html

·
Super Moderator
799 Posts
What "box" do you mean?
Most probably a square which encloses the speed and load rating on the sidewall of the tyre (right after the size marking).

Checked on line to fine tire size for 1996 Toyota RAV4 and its 215/70R16 in a box has (995); and can use up to 235/60R16 and i the box (100H). The number in the box have no idea what that means.
"99S" denotes a (up to) 180kph tyre capable of handling up to 775kg per corner of the car.
Likewise, "100H" denotes a (up to) 210kph tyre capable of handling up to 800kg per corner.

No reply so drove to city doing 85kmh for another 1.5hours. Was told when I installed ice tires that they where oversized.
Brave the cold weather and write down your tyre size.
Then, go here: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Click the "Tire Comparison" tab on the left and input the 215/70-R16 on "Size 1" and your current winter tyre's size on "Size 2". Focus on the "Speedometer Error" graph, make a note of the actual reading on 60mph (or whatever is the speed limit in Canada) and drive accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts