Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this morning my wife (it's her RAV-4)calls and says the speedometer works OK untill it reaches about 52 mph then refuses to read any higher no matter how fast she goes. The odometer seems to be working OK. No amount of beating on the dash helped.

Anything I can check?

Thanks very much.

cl

1997 auto, 2wd, 123K miles

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
chucklee said:
Just this morning my wife (it's her RAV-4)calls and says the speedometer works OK untill it reaches about 52 mph then refuses to read any higher no matter how fast she goes. The odometer seems to be working OK. No amount of beating on the dash helped.

Anything I can check?

Thanks very much.

cl

1997 auto, 2wd, 123K miles
I had a lot of speedo problems with my RAV - in looking into it I read that you can get a weak signal

So I'd say faulty speedo sensor or odometer - obvious I know! - try for error codes and see if you have a speedo error

Occasionally the actual cog in the gearbox can break loose and free-wheel which means the speedo reads about 1/2 what it should - this would be bad news as it requires a gearbox overhaul which effectively writes off and old car - as the work costs more than the value of the car (it isn't that uncommon on Rav boxes)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts