Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i noticed one of the 3 high voltage boots under the hood are split and you can see the wire inside. I talked to 2 dealerships and both said it was normal. I don't see how this can be normal. I talked to Toyota corporate and they said if the dealers said it was normal it likely is. Is anyone else's boot like this? the other 2 are sealed completely. See attached photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
So i noticed one of the 3 high voltage boots under the hood are split and you can see the wire inside. I talked to 2 dealerships and both said it was normal. I don't see how this can be normal. I talked to Toyota corporate and they said if the dealers said it was normal it likely is. Is anyone else's boot like this? the other 2 are sealed completely. See attached photo.
I have the same split on the same one as yours. Will bring it up when I go for second service coming Tuesday and see what they say.
May just silicone it up myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same split on the same one as yours. Will bring it up when I go for second service coming Tuesday and see what they say.
Let me know! I was considering gluing it my self, that way the wire stays clean and has less chance of corroding.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
I agree it should be sealed. My Accord has also has it's high voltage wires encased in orange with warnings to stay away from the conductors. Toyota leaving one exposed makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
If you seal that up you're begging for condensation issues. Why not just trust that after 20 years of building HV systems, the Toyota engineers have some idea what they are doing? PLEASE do yourself a favor and leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you seal that up you're begging for condensation issues. Why not just trust that after 20 years of building HV systems, the Toyota engineers have some idea what they are doing? PLEASE do yourself a favor and leave well enough alone.
Does yours have the same split too I wonder.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
Apparently Toyota has yet to be sued for UE (unintended electrocution). :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
This thread is silly. The jacket is not "insulation" for the wiring.
Really? So exposed high voltage wires are okay? Not under my hood! The only silly thing would be to get zapped silly.

·
Registered
449 Posts
This thread is silly. The jacket is not "insulation" for the wiring.
Toyota intentionally put a split on them to prevent condensation? Then why is the other boots not have a split.
I have been here a long time and pay due respects to members genuinely try to offer some advise to help with a problem and you particular is no help. What should we do then? Our vehicle is new and under warranty. If it's a defect Toyota should fix it.
You're treating posters here as if we are your delinquent child. Give us due respect. If you have nothing to offer, just stay out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That Boot is their to prevent contact with the bare wire. Yes the split is a problem. It should be reported to Toyota and noted as a complaint. Keep a record of it, pictures will help. The Quick fix is to wrap it in a GOOD quality electrical tape. Keep an eye on it and the first signs of corrosion, (a green white power, you may have seen similar corrosion on battery terminals, report it again to Toyota.

KenK

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
There are no exposed wires, even if you remove the jacket completely. But I think its great that we have people here who know more than Toyota engineers.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
There are no exposed wires, even if you remove the jacket completely.
Yep, I didn't think of it that way. The wire that looks bare may actually be insulated with clear plastic. And the orange cover doesn't look like it has failed and split in the OP's picture. If so those Toyota engineers sure have an interesting sense of humor to make it look dangerous.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yep, I didn't think of it that way. The wire that looks bare may actually be insulated with clear plastic. And the orange cover doesn't look like it has failed and split in the OP's picture. If so those Toyota engineers sure have an interesting sense of humor to make it look dangerous.
That metal you see is the RF shield since this cable carries high voltage AC.

The RF shield is grounded to the body of the vehicle. There are many many many isolation layers before you hit copper that actually carries the current.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Showed Toyota service writer about the "split" and his response was "it's like that". Went to see a new hybrid in the showroom and it also have a same split.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its normal, see it every day...
Mine aren't split, and neither are the other 3 Hybrids at work... they aren't supposed to be split, otherwise they would allow ingress - they're protective boots.

The "seam" on the boots is very sound and just looks and feels like slight moulding flash. Nobody wants moisture on the HV terminals in there!!! See photos of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Idea....

Take it in and ask for new covers, if they refuse, take it up the chain. Trust me Toyota does not want ANY new car defects hitting the news after the whole floor mat debacle happened a few years ago.

FYI - took my 2016 Prius in for routine check-up / service, and they moved the cheap rain catch floor mat I had on the driver side to the passenger side, and hung a note on my rear view mirror telling me that is a big NO NO. lolz... I laughed at the gal when she took me out to my car and I saw that. She smiled and said safety first. :laugh

Or like you said, tape it, glue it or leave it alone. :wink

Peace!:nerd

1 - 20 of 24 Posts