Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So here's my problem. I replaced the front brake pads on my 2000 Rav4 (compressed pistons in to seat new pads). Now my brake pedal doesn't feel as firm as it used to. It also seems to have a longer travel as well. I did not open any bleeder valves during the job and the brake fluid is brand new (just bled & flushed a few weeks ago). What can I do to remedy this problem?

With the engine off, the brake pedal is hard and feels fantastic.

Thank you,
Johnny

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
Despite your having take precautions it sounds as if some air may have gotten into the brake system. Suggest that the system be bled again to see whether that cures the problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your suggestion. I went ahead and bled the brakes this morning as you mentioned. Drum brakes were easy to bleed but the front caliper bleeder valves were so rusted.. and I ended up breaking both bleeder valves. I attempted to pump the brakes with the bleeder screws broken and no fluid was coming out. They're probably so rusted that the internal pathway have been rusted shut. I sealed the hole with JBWeld anyway just to be safe.

Now here's another problem, is there another way to bleed brakes without the bleeder valve? Maybe from the master cylinder?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,249 Posts
Wait, you said "the brake fluid is brand new (just bled & flushed a few weeks ago)" and now the front bleeders are broken. How'd that happen?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand how a few weeks can cause rust.. I honestly can't tell you. But the fact of the matter is.. I just broke both of them a few hours ago :/

Actually I might've tightened them too much last time I bled the brakes.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
Wait, you said "the brake fluid is brand new (just bled & flushed a few weeks ago)" and now the front bleeders are broken. How'd that happen?

Yeah, I also have to wonder how the brake system could have been flushed and new brake fluid installed without opening bleeder screws?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I also have to wonder how the brake system could have been flushed and new brake fluid installed without opening bleeder screws?
Honestly, I really do believe that I tightened them way too much. I was and still concerned that the bleeder valve is leaking air into the system and having to bleed them again.

Looks like new calipers are the only way to go at this point.

·
Super Moderator
11,249 Posts
Looks like new calipers are the only way to go at this point.
My thought too! And maybe get some help from someone with a little more brake bleeding experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts