Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI: I ran through an automatic wash this evening since, the Rav was disgusting and, I don't have access to wash it at our apartment. The dryers got air under the eleastic part of the spare cover off like it was nothing. It blew out off the bay and skidded across the pavement like a frisbee. Now I have one hell of a scratched up spare cover. :cry:

I wonder if a new cover vs. getting it buffed and/or repainted would be easier or cheaper.....perhaps the Limited cover as a replacement???

G

·
0 Posts
Wow that's terrible. I was about to take mine for a car wash...I guess I wont now. :(

·
Premium Member
7,391 Posts
I think I'll just remove mine and throw it in the back before running it thru the car wash, it's pretty easy remove and install.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of the scratches seem to be superficial. There's a couple deep ones at the top that I'm more concerned about. I guess I'll make some phone calls today and see. I'm pretty disappointed in this cover. Auto washes are pretty common, this should be designed to stay on, what's to say highway driving during high winds won't blow this off?

Besides the poor cup holders, I've don't have any issues yet. Although my wife felt is was better an easily replacable part was damaged rather than a something else.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I looked into it. Dealer wants approx $800 for the LTD lockable one. I too am looking for an OEM cover for alot less. If anyone finds one, please let us know.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes, is that CDN???? :(

As an update, the covers run $225, that's from my local dealer. He said they can get them within three days. Limited covers don't work on Sports due to the wheel size difference.

He also said filing a claim with the washer would be a good idea as these covers are made to stay on within certain windspeed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
$800 was USD or $895 CND. But that was for the three piece unit for the LTD. The wrap around is about $300. Good to know the LTD does not fit the Sport. I thought they made it big enough to accomodate both tire sizes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine's never come off from the carwash, though maybe I haven't taken it under the dryers yet when they've been on. If you just get a wash without the dryers, it should be fine (like the economy wash or whatever).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have yet to find a wash here without dryers. I'll certainly be more careful going through from now on.

I'm having the cover buffed out and repainted today. $182 vs. $225 for a new one. To me it was a toss up, although the shop I went to did great work for us in the past.

I'll be submitting a claim to the car wash (which is against my principles as a liability claims rep :lol: ).

K

·
0 Posts
Spare cover

Anyone noticed a color differance between the spare cover and the back door? Mine is Nautical Blue (very dark) and I've noticed that the spare cover is slightly different shade. Guess I'll ask my dealer to take a peek next visit.

Kevin

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Re: Spare cover

I too have seen that on nautical blue. No other colors are that bad that I have seen. The first time I saw it I could not believe it was the same color it was off so far.. The tire cover had a lot more 'pearl' in it then the body..

kevino25701 said:
Anyone noticed a color differance between the spare cover and the back door? Mine is Nautical Blue (very dark) and I've noticed that the spare cover is slightly different shade. Guess I'll ask my dealer to take a peek next visit.

Kevin

·
Registered
72 Posts
What does the Sport cover look like?
is it colour keyed or just one of those black soft covers?

We don't get the Sport model here in Trinidad, but I've ordered mine with those 18" rims and the fender flares. The dealer said they will treat it as a special order and see if I get lucky.

in other words, ,I'm trying to have a short wheel base "Sport" version :)

I can't seem to find any decent pictures of the Sport spare tyre cover.
can anyone direct me to one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts