Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the sport strut spring holder higher than the limited spring holder?

Will a bigger tire fit on a sport strut vs a limited strut?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is the sport strut spring holder higher than the limited spring holder?

Will a bigger tire fit on a sport strut vs a limited strut?
I installed the Sport struts in the front, to my eyes they are identical with the base/limited struts just that Tokico makes them and they are valved differently. Here is the link to the thread with photos. I also installed the Sport springs and got rid of the Limited springs at the same time, they're also the same height.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed the Sport struts in the front, to my eyes they are identical with the base/limited struts just that Tokico makes them and they are valved differently. Here is the link to the thread with photos. I also installed the Sport springs and got rid of the Limited springs at the same time, they're also the same height.

Hope this helps.
Happen to know the Toyota Part Number for the Sport Struts? Looked it up and used to be different numbers than the base but now they are the same... Thanks for the help... 2008 Sport 4cyl... Really like the tight ride and dont want to go with KYB and end up riding on a sponge LOL

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I just had the KYB strut recently installed on my Sport and it does not feel like a sponge. It actually feels less harsh on the bumps which is what I prefer. It is medium firm compared to the stiffer Toyota struts. Now when I go over a bumpy road it is not so bad like before. My rear shocks are still the Toyota ones which I think the previous owner replaced.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I have researched a lot, sent email to manuf tech support - KYB, Bilstein, Gabriel... They all stated that the shocks they provide are identical with OE and they didn't have monotubes available or Gen 3 RAV4 for "technical reasons".
So after all that I just ordered a pair of Toyota OE shocks. I choose the closest dealer to me, that is listed here:

Not all dealers are listed with that, the one that is just a couple blocks away from me wasn't and didn't want to match the (lower) online prices.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Who says it will be like a sponge? KYB are equal or tighter than OE.
just what im afraid of, love the current ride of the Sport suspension... but after reading the forum KYB have a little more "cushion" on the road and coming in a "quick Strut" version that may be the winner

·
Registered
10 Posts
The bilstein are a direct fit and have a firm ride. The difference in ride control is huge and I highly recommend them if you want a firm controlled setup. I used them with the stock springs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The bilstein are a direct fit and have a firm ride. The difference in ride control is huge and I highly recommend them if you want a firm controlled setup. I used them with the stock springs.
thanks for the info, happen to have a part number for the Bilstein struts?

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Struts are for a 2008 Sport... states mentioned strut is for 2013-2018

·
Registered
10 Posts
The b6 struts are 4.4 and not listed for 4.3 rav4's, even though the 4.3 and 4.4 use identical mounting parts.

I have the linked parts on my 2008 limited fwd b6 Rav4. They have the exact same fitment as stock.

I also have a Megan rear sway bar and highly recommend it too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wonder why Bilstein doesn't include 4.3? Suspect 4.3 and 4.4 share the same frame...

Just want to make sure the part fits, before i purchase

Have a number for the rear sway bar? thanks for all the info

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
wonder why Bilstein doesn't include 4.3? Suspect 4.3 and 4.4 share the same frame...

Just want to make sure the part fits, before i purchase

Have a number for the rear sway bar? thanks for all the info
I believe there is a thread that details how some have outfitted with the Bilstein struts even if it is not listed in their catalogue to fit a 4.3. Just do a search.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Doesn't show struts, only rear shock for 08 in all trim levels
Because they don't have one yet. When I contacted their tech support they said that it might be available next spring.
Until then I would look at KYB or... just replace with stock.

As for people that claim better knowledge than Bilstein and KYB techs, and recommend struts just because they will bolt on... up to you to decide if it is something to follow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts