Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does that term mean? I am thinking of going for the Sport. I like the 18" tires. I think it makes it look good. However, will that result in a harsh ride? If so, just how harsh?

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Re: Sport-Tune suspension

Plas said:
What does that term mean? I am thinking of going for the Sport. I like the 18" tires. I think it makes it look good. However, will that result in a harsh ride? If so, just how harsh?
Shocks in the Sport are likely a little firmer than the other models and there might be beefier roll bars or other suspension components, but until the details are officially published, we won't know for certain.

The lower aspect ratio (sidewall height) of the Sport's tires in combination with 18" wheels means there's less rubber between your alloys and the road. 65 (and 17" wheels) is standard and 55 puts it firmly into sports car/coupe/sedan territory. I would expect a tighter, firmer (i.e. harsher) ride between the Base/Limited and Sport models with just the wheel/tire combination and suspension tweaks.

The optional tires on the RAV4.2 (2001-2005) have always had an aspect ratio of 60, so it may not be a huge difference, but then the base tires were 70, which should provide a noticibly softer ride.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks karrock. I thought that was an industry term (sport tuned suspension) and wondered if maybe that gave better off-road performance; or what the actual benefit was

·
Registered
875 Posts
for suspension newbies:

I never really understood what "harsh" or "comfort level" really meant until I got the KONI suspension myself. Basically as you're riding along with stock suspension and you hit a bump, the suspension absorbs it and the cabin and occupants feel less of the bump. With "sport tuned" suspension, you'll feel the bump more aggressively. It will be loud and the bump will be more extreme. But once you pass the bump, the bouncing is over and it doesn't continue to bounce. With stock suspension, there will be subtle ongoing bounches decreasing over time as it disipates.

Let's bring that explanation down to Earth for normal people. I'm not a technical savy person either. I hate the jargon and just want to know what this stuff means in plain english. Here is is:

Imagine jumping on a bed:
1) Stiff hard bed (sport tuned matress baby!) When your feet hit it after landing, it's rough on your feet. The impact is strong, but it's over in a milisecond.

vs.

2) soft bed (stock suspension matress) When your feet hit it after landing, it's soft on your feet but you continue to bounce a little bit. The initial impact is not nearly as extreme b/c your body continues to bounce awhile before you come a rest.

Sorta make sense?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Good explanation zoomie! :D I didn't understand that myself. I guess suspensions are a matter of taste cuz i don't think i like to feel aggressive bumps. But aren't the KONI much safer compared to the stock suspension? :? I'm lost :oops: .

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I test drove a base model which was fine. My sport is due in soon, so I'll see how that compares.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a Limited but changed my mind when I saw ther Black Sport on the lot. I travel cross country once a year so the stiffer ride was a concern. I got 250 miles on it now and the ride is just fine. The seats are real comfortable, more so than the 01 Rav. Seems like they put more padding in and that really helps.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Limited is the top of the line, so they do this to make others want a Limited. I still don't understand why the Limited is only $180 more then the Sport, unless those 18 inch wheels and Flairs really jack up the price. Actually, after the mirror and mud guards are added, it will be more than the MSRP of the Limited.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd rather have the 17 inch wheels. I checked www.tirerack.com and there are very few replacements in this oddball size and they are expensive for a daily driver. Ed

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When your retired, my daily drive is exploring and having fun. I also use a GPS for navigating unfamilar territory.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I noticed the Rav4 has UV coating on the windshield. Does this affect your GPS signal? Just curious, not a huge deal but would be nice to know.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
badkarma said:
I noticed the RAV4 has UV coating on the windshield. Does this affect your GPS signal? Just curious, not a huge deal but would be nice to know.
Not at all. This is my 3rd Rav and I have not noticed any change at all. I normally pickup 4 to 8 satellites at all times.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone know EXACTLY what "sport-tuned suspension" consists of on the Sport model? Stiffer springs? Differently valved shocks? Bigger antiroll bars?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am sure the shocks and springs are different but not that much. Being retired and liking a smooth ride, I did not notice much difference between the Limited and the Sport. I choose the Sport because of the outside appearence.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I test drove both the base and the sport before I bought mine and
I found the sport is definitely much firmer than the base, it has a lot less body roll too. Also I found it drove more like a car than an SUV with the sport suspension. I noticed the base model didn't
have as much "road feel" as the base. In other words in the middle of a turn you can change you line and not upset the chassis.

Even though the ride was firmer I found that it was not as bumpy as I though it would be. I think the handling performance far outweighs the bumpier ride anyways. But just like anything eventually I don't think I will notice it.

Big thumbs up to the sport supension. (and brakes)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting that C&D posted .83g's on their skidpad and Edmund's posted .61g's on theirs. That's a huge difference...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts