Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2012 RAV4 and controlling Spotify using the controls on the steering wheel is troublesome. I can skip to the next song with ease but if I try to go back to the previous song, it won't let me. The only thing I can do is skip forward if I'm connected though the USB port. Sometimes I can't even use the controls. I've tried to adjust the settings and flip through the manual and neither of those have helped.

While connecting via Bluetooth is definitely an option, there are times where it's not the best option. Has anyone had this issue before?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have not tried what you're doing exactly, but I can tell you that with a USB thumb drive that has MP3 files in folders *if* you have Random Play turned on in the head unit (radio) you can go forwards to the next random song but you can't really go backwards.

If you go backwards, it plays the previous song *in the same folder* as the one being played, NOT the previous song that was randomly played. So forwards is random, but backwards does not go through a recent play history, it goes backwards song-by-song on the media.

You may want to check to see if the random function is turned on in the head unit and, if so, try turning that off.

Although the standard head unit in the 2012 did support USB, I think it's not terribly advanced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not tried what you're doing exactly, but I can tell you that with a USB thumb drive that has MP3 files in folders *if* you have Random Play turned on in the head unit (radio) you can go forwards to the next random song but you can't really go backwards.

If you go backwards, it plays the previous song *in the same folder* as the one being played, NOT the previous song that was randomly played. So forwards is random, but backwards does not go through a recent play history, it goes backwards song-by-song on the media.

You may want to check to see if the random function is turned on in the head unit and, if so, try turning that off.

Although the standard head unit in the 2012 did support USB, I think it's not terribly advanced.

I tried what you said and you're correct when I'm using Apple's stock Music app, but it's so finicky with the Spotify app. :/

·
Registered
158 Posts
keeping in mind that technology programming in 2012 for USB/BT control, did not have Spotify or any streaming or podcasting program controls in mind, just basic controlling of files in a folder was probably their main concern, while keeping radio and CD control available.

I think your best bet would be upgrading to a newer headunit, 5yrs later and OEM technology is including a lot of support for apps and programs that 5yrs ago were only a dream in some cars, or available only through expensive aftermarket units.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts