Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm walking through a parking lot yesterday, and I see an SAP (no spare tire on the rear door), but notice it had Limited wheels.

I though to myself, 'Ok, that's a bit odd."

Then I noticed the owner had put on what appears to be a special, aftermarket rear spoiler.

I thought that was kind of neat, if overkill.

Then I noticed the owner had added folding sideview mirrors (they were folded in), with turn signal indicators on them.

I thought this person has really modded their RAV4 pretty nicely.

Here's what I saw:

Then I walked around to the front, and it all made sense!

It's a RAV4 EV (electric vehicle), which were only sold for a few years, and I believe only in California. They only made about 2500 of them, between 2012 and 2014.

Perhaps I should have mentioned I'm in California right now for a few days, but didn't want to provide too much info that might give it away.

I also thought the fog lights (?) looked pretty cool. Predecessor to some of the later Lexus and now Toyota designs? If you look in the first picture, you'll notice the tail lights are different, too.

It was gone when I came back through the same parking lot later.

As a RAV4 enthusiast, I thought it was very cool to get to see one "in the wild," and that it was still out and about.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I would like to have that rear spoiler.

For their total electric RAV4, Toyota put together parts from different versions, for example those made for certain countries. Does anyone know where that rear spoiler came from?

·
Registered
244 Posts
This EV is true special, never seen it...

A back-door without the spare tire is quite comming in the EU.
Same for the automatic folding mirrors with turn signals.

The longer/extended RAV4.3 version is US only, not in the EU.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Interesting, as a southern Ca resident, I did not realize these were quite so rare. There are actually two in the parking lot, which is shared among a bunch of businesses where I work. Of course they are usually at the dozen or so EV charging stations that I walk past every day through the lot.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2011 Base 4WD, it's not power folding mirrors but they do fold, and it has the turn signals in the mirrors as well.
I wonder if having turn signals in the mirrors of Base models was a Canadian feature?

Here's a USA 2011 Base 4WD, with the upgrade value package even, and while the mirrors folded, they were not power folding, nor did they have turn signals in them (nor were they body colored):

I *think* I remember reading somewhere that the RAV4 EV had power folding mirrors.

·
Registered
129 Posts
the rav4 ev mirrors look very much like the corolla/avalon/venza side mirrors with turning markers. looks like the special spoiler and smaller side mirror reduces drag for the ev. i also noticed the headlights are smooth and no air bump like the 09-12 headlights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts