Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 Toyota rav4 with a 2.0 liter that has 224,000 miles and has never gave me an issue once until today I was driving on the highway after filling up with 89 super unleaded and out of nowhere it started shuddering and missing so I immediately changed the plugs and wires and that helped some but very little I don't know much about it because I haven't had it very long but I'm worried about it because I'm on a road trip 10 hours from home. I've driven it about 7,000 miles no problems. Check engine light doesn't come on and no codes come up plz help

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,069 Posts
Check the obvious like air and gas filters, you've already changed wires and plugs. You may have gotten some contaminated fuel so gas filter is a good place to start.

Make sure the air filter box is closed snuggly. Check the sensor from the air intake is installed correctly and that the air intake hoses are tight and not damaged.

Try to defunk your injectors with an injector cleaner additive.

Your O2 sensors will give you an error code so it most likely isn't one of those.

How long has it been since the timing belt was changed, maybe it slipped. If you change it you can get a kit with the water pump, gaskets, pulleys, belt, valve cover gasket. Yes, you have to pull the valve cover to change the belt.

I read your other post, check the condition of the spark plugs you removed, was one fouled like it wasn't firing properly? If you replaced the wires and plugs, it could also be a coil.

Gas lines, check them and make sure there isn't a lot of corrosion or leaks.

PCV valve perhaps, clean it and see what it does.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,069 Posts
Just looked it up the fuel filter is in the tank, I believe at least on my 99 I think it would be in the same place on yours.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The fuel filter is under the hood, drivers side on your cars, under the air filter.
You don't have to pull the valve cover to change the timing belt, but I'd doubt the issue was due to the belt jumping anyway, you say no codes so you've done the first thing in having that checked, I agree with using a good injector cleaner, try Lucas or STP, what ignition wires did you use, not Bosch I hope, they don't work on these cars, best to use Denso.
Plugs should be twin electrode NGK.
You say it started after filling up, anything unusual about your filler cap, try running with it loosened a little.
If it was a coil it would gave thrown a code, likewise the O2 sensor and various others, you lucky guys with OBDII, I wish.......
Good luck,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plugs I put in were actually Bosch unfortunately now that I jus bought them n put them in with no knowledge of knowing Bosch don't work for my car but wires are not Bosch not sure what brand. So I should take Bosch plugs out? N change fuel filter?

·
Registered
432 Posts
NGK plugs are best but I had Bosch in mine when I bought it, the four electrode type, it ran better when I put the NGK's in but I'd doubt the Bosch plugs are the cause of your problem. Have you used up that tank of gas yet, you said it started acting up after you filled up, it could just be bad gas. A dirty fuel filter wouldn't come on suddenly, not unless the gas was bad. Maybe try adding half a can of Seafoam to the gas tank, or anything else that claims to clean out fuel systems.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
The fuel filter is under the hood, drivers side on your cars, under the air filter.
You don't have to pull the valve cover to change the timing belt, but I'd doubt the issue was due to the belt jumping anyway, you say no codes so you've done the first thing in having that checked, I agree with using a good injector cleaner, try Lucas or STP, what ignition wires did you use, not Bosch I hope, they don't work on these cars, best to use Denso.
Plugs should be twin electrode NGK.
You say it started after filling up, anything unusual about your filler cap, try running with it loosened a little.
If it was a coil it would gave thrown a code, likewise the O2 sensor and various others, you lucky guys with OBDII, I wish.......
Good luck,

You're right on the fuel filter location, I wasn't seeing it all in the Hayes manual. Looked it up through Toyota and found it. It's the fuel strainer that is in the tank, could also be an issue, my old Bronco got a bad tank of fuel and clogged the screen on the fuel pump.

However in order to keep the camshaft from turning everything I have seen requires you to take the valve cover off and put a wrench on the camshaft wrench flats to prevent it from turning.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi eodgator,
I've changed my timing belt, tensioners, water pump, oil pump seal and gasket etc. and in the six years Ive had my car Ive never removed the valve cover, I promise you that you don't need to remove it and you don't need to hold the camshafts, you only need to line up the timing gear before removing the old belt and tensioners, I won't go into the exact process here because there's plenty already written here on how to do it but removing the valve cover is a waste of time.
Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts