Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have late 2004 XT4 4 door.

Just recently I have noticed, if I have the radio off I can hear this constant almost "ticking" like rattle coming from behind the dash, but it's really hard to point from where or what. Holding all the surface trim, vents etc doesn't help. It's deep inside the dash, almost inside the instrument binacle.

Is this a known fault?

Also, over rough road or a big bump I get a real big, deep squeak from behind the dash, very short duration, but clearly something large that is moving when the car hits rough ground.

Any ideas anyone?

Finally, does anyone have a smart suggestion on how to stop those damn rear roller covers for the cargo area rattling on the move (other than retracting them). I've already had the dealer swap the whole shelf with integrated rollers out for another new, and it's exactly the same!

Much appreciated.

Cheers

TT :evil:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have similar dash sounds in my '04, but have am not quite due yet for a trip to the dealer so I haven't had them addressed yet.

I posted before about the squeak when going over bumps. That thread is here under "4.2 Interior Noises" I believe if you'd like to check out what the theories were.

I didn't post about the other, quieter, constant sound I hear seemingly from the top middle of the dash whenever the Rav is moving (starting right away as I begin to back out). I noticed it relatively recently. I can only hear this one with the radio turned way down. What I have is a constant almost like a crackling sound or ticking sound or something. I don't know how to describe it, that's one reason I didn't post on it. This one's not a huge big deal because my radio is always on so normally I don't hear it, but it does pique my curiosity.

Ideas on this from the folks here would be much appreciated. When I do hit the dealer, I'll post whatever they come up with too.

Becky

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I have a Rav4 XT4 purchased in June 04 and I have just noticed a similar Tick/tapping sound coming from the front dash. It seems to be a low frequency sound like a cable occasionally bouncing up and down. Interestingly it seems to come and go. I am starting to suspect its something to do with the famous Rav4 Dash rattle (see TSB section) as it seems to go for a while if you raise the bonnet and give the plastic cover over the front wipers a good push. I would be very interested to know if yours is affected in the same way, or if you find a solution.

As for the cover over the cargo area, I have never seen such a design disaster, it squeaks rattles and creaks over every bump. I have tried loads of fixes and shelf side to side movement seems to cause most of the noise so the best compromise I have come to is as follows.
1) On each side of the cargo area I have stuck approx 6 inches of approx half inch wide black self-adhesive hook Velcro along the horizontal ledge between the two shelf securing posts. The Velcro will lock to the felt on the cargo cover and stops it from moving from side to side over bumps. This kills half the noise, but if you lift the shelf regularly you do get a little fluff of the felt, which you need to trim off occasionally.
2) Most of the remaining noise was eliminated using paper thin felt from a dress shop. I cut a couple of squares, drape each square over each of the four securing lugs and then secure the shelf. This is the only thing that I have found to stop the damn thing from squeaking.

Unfortunately the last fix is a pain if you need to lift the shelf regularly but I tend to just leave it fixed. I have also found that the shelf makes almost no noise on the lower fixings in the boot, as its held rock solid. Neither of these two mods is irreversible so I did not think they would cause me any problems re warranty etc.

Hope this helps, I just wish they had designed the thing correctly !! :?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for the replies.

Interesting, sounds like EXACTLY the same thing you both have. Ian, your description of it sounding like a loose cable smacking against a hard edge inside the dash was precisely what was coming to mind when I first heard it. These all have to be a common fault.

I will try lifting the bonnet and doing the pragmatic fix you suggest.

Also, thanks for the great tips on the rear parcel shelf. I'll try all this weekend.

If anyone gets the ticking and squeaks confirmed to a source and permanently rectified by a dealer, would love to know.

Cheers

TT :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yep, I do have the "Noise from Top of Dash/Defroster Duct" one printed out and will take it with me to the dealer. They may (rightly or wrongly) not pay attention to it since it's for 2001-2002, but I figure it's a starting point and of all the TSBs here that seems to be the closest to my situation. There don't seem to be any that apply to the other noise I've got, but then it's almost impossible for me to describe too...sorta like a static sound or like dropping beans on a table but VERY quietly and non-stop. If this one remains a mystery it's okay though because I don't believe it's a serious problem and I can just barely hear it.

Becky

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi
Had an hour spare today so I went on a rattle hunt, I went round the car looking for any potentially loose object. I discovered and cured the following noises.

Front of car
1) Under main battery cover found black plastic wire cover slight loose with a potential to rattle against steel brace car. Secured cover with insulating tape.
2) Secured semi loose red battery cover with tape
3) Discovered that the bonnet alarm switch bracket rested on steel brace and could produce a tick/tick sound. Slackened off the bolt and slid some fine foam between bracket and brace.
(also secured switch to bracket with insulating tape)
4) Front fuse boxes covers can rattle even when secured. Added few pieces of insulation tape to hold securely.

Back of Car
I found all access covers have potential to rattle. As I had no self adhesive felt ,I used the fussy half of self adhesive velcro.
1) Stuck small pieces of fussy velcro on flat edges arround all rear storage areas. When the covers are then put on they press against the fussy velcro to make a snug fit.
2) Removed covers over rear shocks and added velcro padding
3) wound rubber band round rear 12v accessory port to stop it rattling.

Hour later what a difference I have a reasonably quiet car !!!

Ian :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Driven a few miles now and the Tick/Tick noise has not reappeared. I now susppect in later RAV4 XT's the noise comes from the bonnet alarm switch bracket which taps on a metal brace.

For a cure see the previous post
Regards
Ian

O

·
0 Posts
Good afternoon,

What is the Bonnet Alarm Switch?Just where is it? Most of my rattles seem to come and go but are the same ones. Most annoying is a kind of Chirp from driver side consul. on bumps on drivers side front wheel.

Thanks

Jim :?:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi There
The UK bonnet (hood) alarm switch is mounted at the back of the engine bay, directly in front of the driver.
I very much doubt if this is the same system as in the USA

Good luck with your rattle hunt :)

Ian

E

·
0 Posts
olejim said:
Good afternoon,

What is the Bonnet Alarm Switch?Just where is it? Most of my rattles seem to come and go but are the same ones. Most annoying is a kind of Chirp from driver side consul. on bumps on drivers side front wheel.

Thanks

Jim :?:
I found that chirping sound. When you notice the chirping, try to push forward the "instrument cluster trim/garnish" and the chirping stops. I guess it is the black garnish rattles with the dashboard but I still do not know how to remove the instrument cluster garnish.

This is how it looks from the other forum:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just digging this up to mention that the squeak was gone for an entire week before coming back, LOL!

I had her in to the dealer on April 15 for an oil change and dash squeak fix. Everything was great until April 24, on our way back from Indianapolis, on the part of I-94 right after leaving I-65 where there is a road widening project going on. Lots of rough road there, and the fix worked the first time through (on the way to Indy), but the road got the better of it on the way home. Oh well, next oil change I guess we do it all over again!

Becky

S

·
0 Posts
My RAV has the dashboard squeak too. First it was the rattle and the dealer fixed that. Then the squeak started shortly after. It's coming from the rubber on the cowl outside rubbing on the windshield. I sprayed silicone on it and it stopped, but came back when the silicone wore off. When it rains the squeak isn't there because the rain lubricates the rubber enough that it doesn't squeak against the windshield. I'm going to take mine back to the dealer since I'm sick of fooling around with it and hearing squeaks on a new car.

L

·
0 Posts
Rattling noise around dash board!

Sounded as if it was coming from around the passebger air bag bug actually turned out to be the passenger sun visor.

Squeaks when in the up position but not when down. It's not the fixing points as they are tight sounds more like the wire in visor for the vanity light.

Haven't got around to fixing this yet so if anyone has solved this let me know.

N

·
0 Posts
The problem is the same as mine when I had the ticking noise behind the radio. My previous post detailed this, believe me this is the cure, thus:

"The problem is the plastic piece fitted outside the windshield (called the cowl). Remove it and apply some black silicon to the underside of the cowl. It is the cowl (grille - spelling??) that make the irritaing noise. If you look at the plastic, it is vert thin and made of hard plastic, hence it make the clicking noise when the car drive over rough and bumps on the road.

Basically you need to apply the silicon (preferably black) to teh grill to stop it moving). Sorry I haven't explained very well. But post here again if you're not clear.

I have fixed mine using this methos and it hasn't returned in 4 yrs" :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts