Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Rav4 hybrid with about 14,000 miles on it. All is well.

But in the very cold weather, when I start the car and back it out of the garage or a parking space, I notice a squeak, which I assume are the brakes. I'm not due for service for another 1500 miles or so. Should I be concerned and get it in for service?

·
Registered
35 Posts
i bought my hybrid in march 2016. i noticed my brakes first squeaked in aug 2016, after my first due in service and reaching 5000 mi on my speedometer. it squeaked only after a cold start and only in reverse. i informed my toyota dealer about it and they could not replicate the problem. so i drove it home and the next morning, it began to squeak again when i reversed out of my driveway but i figured to give it a few days. after a few days, the squeaks did not go away. i complained to my dealer n they checked it again in november. the very next day, it squeaked during a cold start in reverse AND driving forward.

i called my dealer n they stated that it is normal. i told him that my previous car, a ford, for 7 yrs had no brakes squeaks.

i dont know what to do. on top of that, when my driving speed is between 20-30 mph, i have been noticing a high pitched sound. its more noticable when i turn off the air condition along with the radio, and with all my windows rolled down. is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm not sure why people obsess over brake noises, its nothing to be concerned about. Disc brakes have been making noises for as long as there have been disc brakes. It's what they do.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
If you bought a Lexus not a Toyota you might expect a refrigerator-quiet ride.
Meantime just turn the tunes up when you back up. :wink

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same here @ 6600 km! 2016 hybrid. Squeaks when weather is cold and driving out the garage in the morning. Sounds like there's a pattern here..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
i called my dealer n they stated that it is normal. i told him that my previous car, a ford, for 7 yrs had no brakes squeaks.
Probably a film of rust that forms on the rotors overnight. Mine have been doing the same thing for 8 years.

I'm not sure why people obsess over brake noises, its nothing to be concerned about. Disc brakes have been making noises for as long as there have been disc brakes. It's what they do.
That's why American cars stuck with drum brakes for so long. The only good thing about them was they were quiet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
There is obviously a pattern here this also happened with our 2016 hybrid but I could not find anything besides a small pebble on the rear brake pad. It still makes noises in the mornings when I first start the car and backup. I am waiting for another warm day to check the brakes. I've never had this issue on the 2011, but I always did the brakes myself which I will be doing with our hybrid as well so I will let everyone know if there is anything unusual.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Occasional squeaks from my brakes, usually at initial startup in the morning. I do agree, when I turn off the music, I notice more. I still don't have any noticeable rattles, which bug me the most.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Squeak

Hello yes! Get the squeak checked. Mine squeaks too! I have not had this RAV4 2016 hybrid limited. only 10 mos and the squeaking is driving me crazy. I took it into service and they say my brakes are good and I even drove around with the service guy and he heard it! It's every time I slow down and stop. The squeak sound is when I press the brakes and when I take my foot off to start to move. The sounds is coming from front to back in different areas of underside. I even recorded it. I do not know what to do! I paid so much for this damn car and I am so upset! Help! I have 20k miles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not even a heavy person. It is so loud and scary, it sounds like stress and something is going to bust. Oh, and I am in Florida, not cold here.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Hello yes! Get the squeak checked. Mine squeaks too! I have not had this RAV4 2016 hybrid limited. only 10 mos and the squeaking is driving me crazy. I took it into service and they say my brakes are good and I even drove around with the service guy and he heard it! It's every time I slow down and stop. The squeak sound is when I press the brakes and when I take my foot off to start to move. The sounds is coming from front to back in different areas of underside. I even recorded it. I do not know what to do! I paid so much for this damn car and I am so upset! Help! I have 20k miles. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not even a heavy person. It is so loud and scary, it sounds like stress and something is going to bust. Oh, and I am in Florida, not cold here.
Keep going in and complaining. You should also consider requesting to see the district manager. No pun intended, but the squeaky wheel (brakes) get the grease. Squeaky brakes have been a headache for many new vehicles, and manufactures have created fixes, to satisfy customers. Given the noise level, it seems to me, your situation is not acceptable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Squeak

I have bought many new cars. This is the first car I ever had a problem with. I am going to take it to a body repair guy I know to his shop and let him hear the recording and check it for me.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
My wife mentioned a squeak in mine, I asked her about it after the fact, she wasn't sure where it's coming from, guess I'll have to take her with me when I go in for service next time. That's another advantage of being old and deaf I guess, doesn't bother me since I can't hear it at all. :laugh

·
Registered
63 Posts
I get the same squeak on mine, and I can bet it has something to do with the way the hybrid brakes function. The friction pads on mine rarely get used, basically only making contact with the rotors when they activate at <5 mph (some low speed). In this cold weather, especially, I can drive for long distances in the cold and not touch my brakes and they might squeak at a stop. If I do brake a bit harder it goes away. I will say, I have several other German cars, and each of them have high quality rotors and brakes, and they all squeak 50x louder than my Rav4 when they are cold. I almost think I might wake a neighbor up stopping at the end of my driveway some mornings, or at least shatter some windows. It was 20 degrees last week for me, and I could hear a soft squeak whenever braking while pulling out of my garage, but I had to have the A/C and music off. It's now 75 and I haven't heard it at all, not even with windows down.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a little over 5,000 miles on my 2016 Limited Hybrid and a few weeks ago, in the cold weather, mine also started to squeak but only very faintly when backing out of the garage in the morning. I mentioned it to service when it went in for the 5,000 mile service and he said that it was probably rust as was stated earlier here. I am not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So today i finally took my RAV4 Hybrid Limited to the Toyota dealer for an oil change that was due and the 2nd visit for the squeaking brakes. I never complain about anything but this screech is so loud it scares me. I recorded it and when the mechanic when in the vehicle he also heard the noise. So they wound up shaving my drivers side rotor. I told them the noise sounds in the front and the back but he said he did not hear anything in the back. So i drove the car home and the noise is even louder! I am furious over this. MY car only has 24k miles on it and the damn screeching started when it was around 10k miles. I have been through 4 new cars and had them for avg of 6 years and i have never ever heard a noise like this ever. I have no idea what to do. The car is still under warranty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, I too have the squeak/squeal on back up when cold. Not normal.
Interested in asking the dealer about that next time I am in.
The link above seemed to indicate there was a Technical Service Bulletin for new brake pads and rotor resurfacing.
Anybody tried this line of discussion with the dealer yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Squeaking Noise

Keep going in and complaining. You should also consider requesting to see the district manager. No pun intended, but the squeaky wheel (brakes) get the grease. Squeaky brakes have been a headache for many new vehicles, and manufactures have created fixes, to satisfy customers. Given the noise level, it seems to me, your situation is not acceptable.
Today i am going to go back again. So my son thinks it might be the struts. Because as i am stopping it squeaks (deep Pitch sound) Not screech like i posted before) And when i come to a full stop and the inertia of the car moves back a little to a full stop it will squeak again. It actually sounds like my car has the croup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts